1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rumble 100 small question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wishforbass, Jun 10, 2017.

1. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    I bought a fender rumble 100 bass amp .
    All things are ok .
    Just a question ,when I make overdrive on.
    The overdrive sound from speaker is not like videos in YouTube .
    When plug in headphone the over drive sound is good and high but when it start use 12" speaker it's not as powerful as in the headphone is .

Is it normal ?
    Or the amp has problem ?

I put lvl in 11 o clock and gain in 12 and over drive about 3 o clock .

2. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    I should add I use pj pickup on Yamaha bb .
    And bass ,treble and mid are on 12 .

3. Are you able to post links to any of the YouTube videos here?
    That might help us judge what sound you are after.

I have the Rumble 200 and I believe it is the same as the 100, except for speaker size and power.
    I know that when I switch on the overdrive, things can get a lot louder and grittier sounding.
    I don't know if I've ever compared the speaker with headphones using the OD though.

I'll try your settings on my amp and listen with phones vs speakers and report back my findings.
    In the meanwhile, maybe some of the hard core Rumble experts will weigh in.

wishforbass likes this.
  4. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran

Here the video .

5. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    The headphones give you all the sound "straight on," so to speak. You get it all. You will miss some highs when listening to the 12" speaker in the open air, mostly due to your position in relation to the speaker, and possibly due to room or environmental acoustics. Try increasing the drive to see if that helps.

wishforbass likes this.
  6. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    It solved ,
    I don't know how but the room I play in there is a problem with over drive .maybe roof that is very low or materials .idk
    But when change place of amp to practice place with band the problem fully solved .

Only problem that I have is that my gain knob have very slight resistance when I past 10 o clock but with I push the knob up with hand the resistance go fully away .
    So I think maybe knob is low ,idk .
    But because I don't wanna open the amp nor go for fix .
    I was thinking if it's not serious problem that the knob have little resistance just in on part of the gain .(10 o clock ) and it won't lead damage to pre amp or other thing .I won't do anything.

What do you think ?
    Is it serious that a knob click or kind of have resistance on 10 o clock ?

HaphAsSard likes this.
  7. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Ah-Ha! What you have experienced is known as the "Fletcher Munson Effect".
    I do not think it is serious. Live with it for a while and with the amp off rotate the control fully back and forth slowly many times. I think your problem will work itself out over a short time. Don't be overly sensitive to any tiny anomaly. You'll drive yourself crazy.

8. I don't think there is a problem with your pot.

Can you pull the knob up just bit so it sits a bit higher on the shaft?
    It might just be pushed down all the way and is catching on the nut that holds the pot to the chassis.
    It's a tight fit but it is just a friction fit, with no screws.
    I just tried it on mine and I can pull the knob up slightly.

I notice that the shaft on some pots moves up or down, ever so slightly with rotation.
    They may sit just a bit higher at full CCW than at full CW, or the other way around.
    If the knob is pushed down all the way on the shaft it might just be catching on the nut as it goes through rotation.

Glad to hear you discovered the source of your other problem.
    Room acoustics. Can't live with em, can't live without 'em.

wishforbass likes this.
  9. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    It comes higher by when just don't touch it it go back to first position .

Yes the room was annoying.
    So I think I won't practice in underground any more.

10. So there is a definite difference between the headphones and speaker output like someone said. Also, the 100 is a 12" speaker, unlike the classic 15" -- the 200 and higher has that.
    You will hear people tell you the 12 just won't cut it for certain things, including the bottom notes of the 5-string I have.
    Pay attention to your buttons, Bright, Contour and Vintage. And with those, your EQ. I find you can really color the fuzz with this amp, and some places will make it sound different.

I'm not going to say you can get the 12" to sound like a 15", that would be silly. But I find I can get even the low notes on my 5-string to ring nice and deep and clear, again, unlike what some have written on some reviews websites.
    I think for some of us it's hard to get used to 12s. 12s are what I used with keyboard amplifiers when I was younger, but all our bass amps were 15s.

I'm recently just getting back into bass after a 20-year hiatus, so I bought the 100 as I'm a bit on a budget. But that was more than plenty of headroom for the medium-sized club we played recently. I just sound-checked clean and overdrive separately to get to the same consistent levels for each, then raised the overdrive by a skosh ... just to pump it out when I kicked on the footswitch.
    But you really need to play around with the 4-band EQ, what I found was my mids were a bit low to make the clean and overdrive have the same consistency. Old hat for most on here I suspect, but this is my first amp with onboard fuzz. Before all I used were fuzz boxes to generate that.

Anyway, unlike the 200, it is a 12". But I think this baby performs pretty reliably.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 19, 2021