Running 2 Ampeg SVT410HLFs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PunkRawkDude, Jan 29, 2019.

1. PunkRawkDude

PunkRawkDude

Jan 29, 2019
    Long time reader, first time poster.

Equipment: Ampeg SVT3pro (450 watts @ 4 ohms or 275 watts @ 8 ohms

Orange Terror Bass (500 watts @ 4 ohms or 250 watts at 8 ohms)

2x Ampeg SVT410HLFs (500 watts @ 4 ohms)

I'd like to run both cabs simultaneously, but obviously that puts the load at 2 ohms and neither amp I have can do that safely. I'm looking into getting a Radial Cab-Link which will let me run the cabs in series (instead of their naturally wired parallel) which will give me an 8 ohm load.

So my question is: what is the audible difference at running 1 HLF at 4 ohms vs 2 HLFs at 8 ohms?

I'm assuming that with the lower wattage I'll get an earlier break up of my clean tone, but what could I expect in perceived volume?

Anybody have first hand experience?

Thanks guys!

-Matt

2. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

I don't have any experience with your specific amps...reduced power is the biggest consequence from doubling the impedance. Also the way your amp overloads may be modified. If you double speaker area and halve the power, the volume is essentially the same. The tonal balance should shift a bit, so the sound is fuller/more bass heavy.

See post #4 Ran my Streamliner at 16 ohms tonight -- a revelation

3. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Why not use both amps, each driving one cab?

You can Y split your signal, either with a passive Y splitter or an isolated one like these from radial.

More power, more cabs, more fun.

I did this for a while with my Aguilar and GK amps, running one wet/effects and one dry. It was awesome.

johnpbass and Gearhead17 like this.
  4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Running with 2 amps, you will need to test for proper polarity between the two. This might mean inverting one speaker cable or buying a splitter with polarity invert (like some radial devices).

Gearhead17 likes this.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I would use both amps and use the Orange as a slave amp where all it contributes is power to one cab and your tone gets controlled by the 3 Pro preamp. Or if you use effects, you could run one clean, one dirty.

6. PunkRawkDude

PunkRawkDude

Jan 29, 2019
    MVIMG_20190203_125529.jpg Update: Well I ended up running both cabs in series to get an 8 ohm load for the Orange. It is definitely audibly louder, although some of that will be the fact that the top cab is at ear level. My volume knob is at approximately 9 o'clock and my gain is at 12 to 1 o'clock. FYI, top cab is a 2014 heritage and bottom is a SLM 2002, both horn knobs are around 1 o'clock, with the SLM a little higher since it's a "darker" cab. Also, I wired the Jazz pickups to run together, so it sounds closer to a Precision, quite punchy.

Attached Files:

7. sneauxman

sneauxman

Jul 14, 2017
    Don't own either of your amps or the 410lf, but most amp / speaker jacks are wired parallel - in that case this would've been a 2 ohm load, not 8. Unless or course you've got a modified speaker cable for series connection.

**Edit - sorry missed the mention of the radi cab link in your initial post!!

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021