Rush and Primus used to tour together.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I know that Rush and Primus toured toghether in the past. I'm a huge Rush fan, and just getting into Primus. Did anyone see any of the Rush/Primus tours? I bet that would be a sight to behold.
  2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I did, back when I was a wee lad. If I remember right, it was the Roll the Bones Tour, but at any rate, I remeber going to the show and being blown away first by Les, and then later by Geddy. At that point in time, I was just getting into Primus, and I went mainly to see Les play. They sure don't do good tours like that any more!
  3. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I caught that tour. I went to see Rush, but i'm a Primus fan too, so that made for a great show.
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I saw them here in Cologne. Primus even had a better sound than Rush. I guess the Rush soundguy pushed the volume level just a bit too far for the venue.
  5. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Yep, Roll the Bones, saw that tour in New Orleans. Wife said it was the best concert she'd ever seen. Most of the crowd there didn't 'get' Primus, there were only two guys at the edge of the stage who seemed to be enjoying it- and us of course. They did a nice little snippet of Kashmir. I believe that would have been the Seas of Cheese era for Primus?
  6. For the people that did see it. Was it like a double bill, where both bands played a full set? or did Primus open for Rush?
  7. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Primus opened with a very short set, 20-30 minutes where I saw them.
  8. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003

Could anyone explain to me why bands don't do tours like that anymore?
  9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I remeber when I use to tour with Rush. The year was 1875, I just got finished selling a ton of song ideas to some kid named Jaco. I thought it was some of my "crap" material, but he dug it. I needed the cash too. I just got finished buying a golden statue of Jim Carey as Ace Ventura Pet Detective.

So backstage, Neil Peart keeps throwing drumsticks at me, and I'm like... dude, chill. So, he felt bad and gave me 3 magic beans. He said, "Eat these, and you'll awaken a god." So, I thought that sounded cool. When I awoke, I had lost all of my bass playing powers and had to start from the begining. I've been FedExing Neil Peart my feces for the last 12 years.
  10. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    and why don't the tickets cost $17.50 anymore either?!
  11. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    :D :D
  12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I'm glad someone around here digs mindless ramblings. :D
  13. zilla04

Feb 11, 2000

WELL I DO?!!?

Hi. Anyone remember me?

I'm a huge Rush fan. I havn't been here in a long time.... I'm gunna start hanging out here more often........ I'm one stupid box of water if I don't. :)

Yea, anyway.... I saw Rush back in their name started with and "H." They had eight members back then but then Geddy and Alex consumed the souls of the others so.... they didn't really need them any more. Now Neil, he.... well I'm not to sure aboot him, He may not be from this planet.:D

:bassist: ....Neato....
  14. DannyG

Feb 23, 2002
    Saw that tour at the LA Forum. Great show. I think Primus even played a snippet of Cyngus X-1 or some other obscure Rush tune.
  15. Rope

May 27, 2003
    Essexville, MI
    Yes, they did. I saw this tour, as well. Two different stops, as I recall. I wasn't familiar with Primus when I bought tickets. I picked up a couple of CD's to get a taste and just was not in tune. Then I saw the show. Rush was Rush, as always. It was Primus that blew me away. After seeing them live I totally got it. Les and the boys make a lot more sense when you have a chance to see them do their thing in the flesh.
  16. tickets for 17.50. thats a royal screwjob then and now. I think 10 bucks should be the limit. Maybe 20 if theres like 2 or 3 bands. But then again, i think most bands should just play without openers, or if they do have one maybe 1 opening act only. I hate waiting till 12 to see a band, especially after seeing 4 ****e bands before hand.
  17. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Rush/Geddy has always supported other Bass Players
    by getting them on there tour. On Presto tour
    he had Mr.Big open for them, and on the Big Money
    tour he had Aimee Mann as an opener.