1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rush Tribute Band - New Bass?

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by ljdmd, May 1, 2017.

1. ljdmd

ljdmd

May 1, 2017
    Hi. Newly registered, long time lurker, 30+ years playing electric 4 string bass.

Just starting up a Rush tribute band, my dream come true. I play a P bass and I'm considering buying a new bass for the new band. Trying to decide whether to get the Geddy Lee edition Fender Jazz (US v Mexico) or the Rickenbacker 4003S.

What do you guys suggest?

2. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

I would just get the US Geddy, and be done with it and live in bass bliss for all time.

Toolmybass likes this.
  3. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

By the way I have played the US Geddy bass and it is a great sounding bass it also feels like a million bucks.

4. ^^ what he said!

5. I guess it depends... Are you putting together a rush cover band, or a full on "theatrical tribute" experience with costumes, hair, lights, etc.?

If you are good enough to play like Geddy, then I'm sure you're also good enough to sound great on a P Bass. You can play Rush covers perfectly fine on your current equipment, no need to go shopping.

If on the other hand, you are doing the full theatrical experience, then I think Rush fans are pretty devoted, and would definitely notice if you are using the wrong bass. A hard core Rush fan might even expect to see a Rick for certain songs, and the Jazz for other songs.

6. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    As a guy in a full on tribute band, to be successful you must be as accurate as possible. Get a bass that looks just like his. I don't know how accurate his Signature is but if it were me, I'd have a jazz and a Rick that looks just like his. I'd also have a steinburger for the rare occasion as real fans will get that too

7. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    A lot of times the base is the end up being signature bases are not the same as the basis those artists used in their heyday. You want a jazz that looks just like the one he used in his prime or for any particular era your tribute is doing

8. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Go on YouTube and look at existing Rush tribute bands and see what their guys doing. Hell you probably need to get paddles on the floor to right? The more accurate it is the better success the better money and the better shows the end up having

9. ljdmd

ljdmd

May 1, 2017
    Thanks for all the advice. We aren't goign full theatrics/visuals - just want to get the music note for note. My heart is calling for the Rickenbacker but the Geddy Fender Jazz is probaly more sensible. Def want to have the bass look like his and apporach the tone too.

10. Then you cant go wrong with a jazz!