1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

S.D. Curlee Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by skotsour, Apr 1, 2009.

1. I remember these from back in the late 70's early 80's maybe. If recall it, it was pretty pricey and they had Dimarzio pickups...

2. I remember seeing these all the time back in the early 80's.

Well made,good sounding basses.With the 2 split P bass pickups,that should be a rumbling machine.

I say go for it!:hyper:

3. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Jaydee Basses
    Nice, I have one in pieces that sits in the closet and never gets played...they are fun little basses...

4. skotsour

skotsour

Mar 4, 2009
    Chicago
    I'm definitely going to watch it and if the price doesn't get crazy, I'm going to go for it.

5. Jedisan

Jedisan

Feb 25, 2009
    East Bay, CA
    Pretty rare bass, especially left handed. They don't pop up very often. Be advised though, I do believe that these were all a 32" scale. Good luck!

6. Jedisan

Jedisan

Feb 25, 2009
    East Bay, CA
    Don't know if it makes a difference, but I forgot to mention, Jack Blades of Night Ranger used to, or maybe still does, play one of these.

7. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I thought he played a similar looking Hamer?

8. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Oh a lefty S.D. always wanted one, you're lucky I'm broke right now or I would snatch it!

9. skotsour

skotsour

Mar 4, 2009
    Chicago
    Please remain broke for about 5 more days!

10. skotsour

skotsour

Mar 4, 2009
    Chicago
    That just adds to my desire to have it...:D

11. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    I had an SD Curlee for a couple years in the early 1980s. Wasn't the one pictured in that eBay auction, mine had a less ornate 1-piece body, a single DiMarzio Model 1 pickup, and a totally ghetto-looking handmade brass bridge. But similar maple 32" scale bolt-on neck that passes so far thru the body that the bridge was anchored to the same piece of wood...that was SD Curlee's coolest feature imho.

I had a love/hate relationship with that bass. Didn't miss it at all after I got rid of it...but then two years later I found an identical model in a studio where I was recording, so I borrowed it for one track and it sounded so much better than the Fender I had brought! It was really depressing actually. :)

12. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Jaydee Basses
    I just put the one I was describing above back together...man what a sound!!!! Mine is the "Liberty Bell" shape....VERY uncommon....now what to do with it??? It is too small for me...

13. SKATE RAT

SKATE RAT

Aug 22, 2007
    BROOKLYN
    i had the single split coil 32" scale one kinda shaped like a Les Paul jr. great sounding and playing little bass.i really regret sellin it.if the price is nice i say buy it.
    SDCURLEE001-1.

14. Back in the day,I had a buddy who had one.These were compared to Alembics in style and build quality.Nice basses.

15. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    They were made right here in my own back yard. Good quality with a fair amount of boom for the money. They are selling between $200 and $300 now. The most sought model is a Liberty Bell Shaped body made in 1976. Randy Curlee passed away a few years ago. He was a nice guy.

G

16. idontknow

idontknow

Sep 22, 2009
    I have one I have yet to see I was told when I purchased it it was a Curlee Destroyer. All the pictures I have seen have SD Curlee stamped on the head stock, Mine is stamped Curlee no SD Not sure if it is an early bass, it has a modified explore shape. If anybody knows any information about this bass or pictures of one of these I would appreciate any information. My E-mail is jw512@verizon.net Thanks