Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky advice!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bikeplate, Nov 21, 2003.

1. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Guys and gals, what do you think? I've got a vintage 5 on order but I saw this one today and I fell in love!! Nice and light, too. I gig a ton and I need it light. Anyways, talk me into it. I think I'm done but I'd appreciate the comments you might have. I already have 2 of them and I know I'm gonna love it. It's just a matter of color at this point. Thanx. Off to a gig. Hopefully some of you will respond

Rob:D

2. Red, tis my fav colour. :D
    And as i always like to say...

RED ONES GO FASTA! :D

3. To be honest, I think I would get tired of the color. I've owned my '59 burst for a few years now and have never tired of it. Every other "color" I've owned (blue, green, red) I've sold after I got sick of the color.

Just my POV...

Jeff

4. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I agree with Jeff to a point. I think there is a chance you will get tired of the colour, however, that is a sweet looking bass! I really like the Red that Sadowsky uses. I also really like the bursts. Either way, its a Sadowsky!

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well, color nonwithstanding, that is an outstanding bass.

in my two recent trips to the shop, that bass just has incredible mojo. killer low B, and great feel to the neck. of all the ones at the shop currently, that's definitely one of my favs and Mike's, who had done the setups to my bass. ;)

6. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Thanx people. I think it sizzles and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go for it. I have a black 5 now and I'm tired of trying to keep it clean! haha
    Bursts are cool but I'm trying to stay away from traditional on this one. I like the whole vibe of it

Thanx again for replying

Rob

7. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Go for it! It will definitely get noticed!

8. First, that must be a killer looking bass in person becaused figured red tops are very hard to photograph well. So if it looks good here, it'll look twice as figured and dramatic in real life.

Color choice is so personal: it's like asking, should I be with a blonde, brunette, or redhead? (Yeah, I know, all three!)

I've had a black cherry (not quite red) flamed PRS since 1989 that I love. I'm not tired of it. The only 'burst I have is my carmelburst Sadowsky J bass. My other figured top guitars are solid colors and not bursts: green, tigers eye, and natural.

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Rob

Would we still have matching Vintage fives if you go for this one.

10. Rob, you know your other Sadowsky's are lonely and they are needing a new friend, so hell yes, buy this wonderful crafted, excellent sounding, light weight, playing bass!

Heck, the money you will save on doctor bills alone will pay for this bass and, the next two you are planning on purchasing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena

11. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Hey people, I did it. It should be here Wednesday. I'm so looking forward to getting this bass. Thanx for all the prodding!!

I'll post some pics when I get it

Rob:)

12. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    Congrats bikeplate, it looks really nice!!

13. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    just out of curiosity...how light is that bass?

14. Bike, nice bass.
    I almost got a red quilt but decided on the much less flashy pj4 Inca Silver, because I thought I would get tired of the red. The silver just had this timeless appeal to it. Red is faster though! So, I guess your PJ4 won't be the fav for a while. uberockin!

15. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Jive, 8.25lbs

Big string, thanx bro! When do you get yours?

Smash, good to hear from you. Dont know why Roger does what he does. All I know is that I love em!!

Rob

16. Sorry to highjack the thread, but I wanted to ask JimS how his Sad compares to his PRS tone-wise.
    I was lucky enough to come across an early PRS five-string a few years ago and love the way she plays and the way she sounds, but she's about ready for a cushy retirement after about 15 billion gigs.
    I've had a Sadowsky in my hands only once, at a shop in Manhattan, and loved the way it felt. But the dead strings on it made it impossible to judge the tone. How do the two compare, especially in the midrange frequencies?
    Thanks,
    KFS

17. I'm sorry if I misled you. My 1989 PRS black cherry is a Custom 24 guitar and not bass. I never played a PRS bass. However, I recall that Paul Smith himself said the early basses he made in the 80s and 90s were great for reggae but not really on the mark as much as his guitars.

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Smash,

check out the figuring on my V5.

picture doesnt do it justice, but hopefully, you can see the spider like figuring.

besides, that's what i love about Sadowsky's. really straightforward, timeless design that lets its tone do all the showing off. :cool:

19. D'oh! Sorry.

20. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    Here are a few headstocks... the third one (maple fb. + chrome hardware) has got the nicest figuring IMO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]