1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sadowsky HC vs SC pickup sound clips?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by matti777, Dec 27, 2011.

1. matti777

matti777 Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    I'm thinking about swapping out the HC pickups. Does anybody know of any posted sound clips? Thanks!

ps - no signature yet - bass is Sadowsky NYC Vintage 4 with VTC

2. Ivan M

Ivan M

Aug 2, 2010
    Bronx, NY
    Go on the SADOWSKY site click on SUPPORT, then there are like 5 or 6 sound links, once you click on any of them there are a bunch of GREAT sound clips, Turn your speakers up and enjoy all those clips, hope this helps.

3. Ivan M

Ivan M

Aug 2, 2010
    Bronx, NY
    Forgot to mention click on the one that says BASS TASTERS, they are the ones that have a bunch of different sound samples....Enjoy.

4. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
  5. The quick reply is that they're not different enough to count anywhere except on TB.

IMHO, YMMV and all the rest. Fran's clips may make you feel the same.

6. matti777

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    Thanks so much!. You are right roadkill2309. There is very little difference in sound except that I liked the SC neck pickup solo a bit more. The character of the bass doesn't change much.

7. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Before you consider switching, check and see if you have a 250k or 500k volume pot. Switching from a 250 to a 500 with HC's gets you pretty close to the SC sound. While not an exact replica, for $6 it is a very easy, cheap, experiment. I was pleasently surprised at the difference. I liked it so much, I did swap for SC's.

8. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    you're welcome. Check out the Club Sadowsky thread and post some photos of your bass. I love natural/maple combos.

9. matti777

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    Will do.

10. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The difference is much bigger on the 5 strings. On the 4s HCs and singles are very close.

11. matti777

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    as requested - next time I'll turn the date stamp off :)

Attached Files:

12. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    sweet!

13. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound Endorsing Artist: La Bella Strings
  14. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    +1

15. I really think Roger should change the sound clips on his site! These basses need much better presentation, I mean sound wise! :)
    Sorry if I hurt someone's feelings!

16. Oldtimer

Oldtimer Supporting Member

May 4, 2002
    New Mexico
    You know, I've tried to go to support several times. I get to the page with the wooden card file boxes but can't click to open any of them. Anybody else have this problem?

17. kevmoga

kevmoga Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Georgia
    Apologies in advance if I'm missing something that's obvious to others, but why would the difference between HC and SC be significant on a 5 string but not so on a 4?

18. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Yes, same problem here.

19. Different pickups. I have never heard singles on the 4 string, but I've switched my HC's to SC's on both the Sadowsky Vintage 5 J's I've owned, and it is quite a difference, with the singles being more mid present, and more 'grindy' than the HC 'sizzly'. Both sound great, and the change interacts with the wood choices I thought the singles were a great improvement with my solid, moderate weight ash/maple build. With my lighter weight, routed alder/RW, I actually preferred the deeper voice and cleaner upper mids treble of the HC's.

I don't have any comparison cips up, but have quite a few clips of the ash/maple NYC Vintage 5 with singles on my Youtube channel if the OP is interested in another data point.

20. matti777

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    Thanks for the link to the clips. I sure like the sound of your AC.:)