SOLD Sadowsky NYC 5 string

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by robthebassplaye, Jun 14, 2021.

1. robthebassplaye

robthebassplaye The World Needs More Bass Players - Start Early !! Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2010
    chicago
    Price:
    $3000.00
    Strings:
    United States
    Hi Talkbass friends:

This is an Ebony fretboard, NYC 5-24 bass. Price includes shipping to the lower 48 states.

Vintage from the old Manhattan Broadway shop. Roger, Ken Black.

I am the second owner.

New in 1991.

It has 2 passive DiMarzio J pickups. It has been upgraded to the latest Sadowsky preamp, which is impervious to any RF Wireless interference.

This bass has been played on Jay Leno:
    David Letterman:
    Jimmy Kimmel:
    (on stand behind me), Much Music Canada:
    , MTV:
    , another Canadian TV show:
    , and XM Satellite TV commercial:
    and more.

It's been worn, played, and it shows it - this is not your museum piece. It's not perfect, but its darn, really darn good, has been professionally polished (not refinished!), just polished and waxed.

Neck is straight as an arrow, flawless. The frets are in great shape, and it plays fantastic. And sounds freaking awesome.

And, it's an early, lightweight Sadowsky. Low serial number....

The backside of the control housing cover was etched with the original owners info. I talked with Roger about this, and you could get a new cover for less than $50 if you choose to replace it, but I personally think it adds to the guitar. Although it says he would never sell it, and includes his phone number, I can assure you that I have a legitimate bill of sale, and that I actually did purchase it from him.

Please, ask any questions.... I'll respond quickly.

Rob

Ask me anything if you have any questions.

ExaltBass likes this.
  2. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 vaxx! Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
    pics of how it looks today?

3. robthebassplaye

robthebassplaye The World Needs More Bass Players - Start Early !! Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2010
    chicago
    Stupid me - I thought I did attach photos, but evidently that did not work... Oops. hopefully,. they show up now. Please feel free to call me, or msg and ask any questions....

Rob
    IMG_7518.jpg IMG_7519.jpg IMG_7520.jpg IMG_7521.jpg IMG_7522.jpg

Nathan Peck, 31HZ, 57pbass and 6 others like this.
  4. kenny ames

kenny ames

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN.
    Guessing the original pickups are long gone??

Thx!

5. robthebassplaye

Aug 21, 2010
    chicago
    Hey Kenny,
    the PUPs are the ones that came with it, when I bought it used it with years ago. So, to be totally upfront, I have no idea what these PUPs are, or if they are original... I can say, definitely, that I like the way they sound....
    Rob

kenny ames likes this.
  6. ManuBerdin

ManuBerdin Supporting Member

May 14, 2009
    California
    These pups seems to be Nordstrand’s...

7. ManuBerdin

ManuBerdin Supporting Member

May 14, 2009
    California

8. kenny ames

kenny ames

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN.

Thanks, Rob.

The early to mid-90’s Sadowsky’s came stock with the EMG pickups. They were a large casing but a slant single coil. This bass would have had those. By ‘95/96 Roger was using the same pickup however the single coil was delegated to the rear of the housing. Less desirable, IMHO. Then he eventually started using Nordys.

While whatever is in there presently may sound wonderful they aren’t original to the bass as it was constructed.

Anyway, good luck with your sale!! Great bass.

robthebassplaye likes this.
  9. robthebassplaye

Aug 21, 2010
    chicago
    thank you! This community works so great when everyone contributes their knowledge - it's awesome!

Thanks,
    Rob

kenny ames likes this.
  10. kenny ames

kenny ames

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN.
    We’re so much cooler than drummers.

robthebassplaye and JLY like this.
  11. Jabba the bass

Jabba the bass Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2015
    I have a later version chambered alder body and ebony board..superb in every way. The wear is a great testimony....

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021