Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky Stainless vs Dr LR SS

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Figjam, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hmm? Never tried Sadowskys....

The tapered B intrigues me.

2. I like the Low Riders over the Shadowskys (tighter feel and seem to last longer) but they are both good strings. Buy a set, put 'em on & tell us what you think!

3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The low riders feel smoother and have a more "raw" tone. The sadowskys have a much better B string (be sure to adjust your intonation after the switch) but a much rougher feel, and a smoother, clearer top end. The Sadowskys are just a tiny bit stiffer feeling, and like the neck to be set with near zero relief for best results.

However, I assume you are puting this on the stingray 5? In which case the B string will sound great with any old string you decide to put on there. Stingray 5s are wierd like that ;)

4. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I thried these two sets on a MV5, and agree about the B string. Tapered B's definately sound better to me.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    So if i were to put them on a HH SR5, you'd suggest sadowskys?

How bout a 4 string set on a Sterling? Still suggest sadowskys or no?

Main reason i ask is because i hear the LR SS chew frets quite badly..

6. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    That,they are :p

7. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Not to jump the thread but the HH I got to ab at bass central EB Hybrid Slinkys on it,and they sounded damn good,but I had both of the DR's and Sadowskys on mt MS5,but I'm using Dean Markley Custom Signatures with the Sadowsky Tapered B

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Also, are there any nickel strings with a nice bright tone and decently high tension?

9. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Hey Figjam, I use Sadowskys and the tapered B is great, great tension, tone and feel. Having said that I use Hi Beams on my MIA 2004 Jazz Deluxe 5, they just suit the bass better. I would'nt get to worried about chewing frets, I know you are waiting on your HH SR5 and like most of us when we get a new intrument we want to 'protect it'. Just play the damn thing and enjoy it, in 20 years playing (2/3 gigs a week) I have never got to a point on any of my basses where they need a re-fret or indeed grinding. As for nickels the best I've ever used are DR Sunbeams, I had them on a SR5 I used to have and they suited the bass very well.

10. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Depends on the tone you're going for, and whether or not you like a real coarse feeling string. On my Rays, its all about high beams and sun beams since I play mostly fingerstyle and prefer the round core feel, and smooth texture of the strings. And the low B is great with them.

For ultra crisp, ultra defined pitch slap the sadowskys are great, though actually I have never tried them on a stingray, so I can't be completely sure how they'd compliment it. I think they'd be pretty sweet though. I'd say the same about a 4 string set.

Sadowskys would chew your frets as much or more than the SS lo riders, but I wouldn't worry about that.

On more thing ... sadowsky strings sound best to me when fresh, where DRs seem to sound better after they settle in ... so I get more milage out of DRs, but I have to put up with a week of sound thats too raw.

11. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    On more monkey wrench. A string set with a DR-like sound and feel, but a better B string and slightly different tone and feel is Rotosound Swing Bass 66. I just put some on my MTD 535 and they are really kickin. A little less mids, but a great tone. Only problem is insanely ugly red silk, but I think you can get them without.

12. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    You'll get to try the skinkys that come on your 5'er. Unfortunately they are regular Slinky (45,65,80,100,130) ... I hate sets like that. Stiff D, G, and B, with a floppy A and E.

Slinkys are a "nickel set with good tension". I like them.

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im going to give Sadowsky Nickels a try. They have a hexagonal core, like the DR LR's so i think the tension will be nicce, and they are nickel, which accomplishes that goal as well. Im trying a set on my sterling, if i like em i will use them on my 5er once it comes as well.

14. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I think you'll like them, but note that the nickels have a little less stiff of a feel than the stainless for some reason. My comments above were about the stainless set. The nickels are also easier on the fingers.

15. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    I'm a big fan of sadowskys. Their tone anyway, they don't seem to last as long as other strings. Then again, I've had this set since about mid-october and I'm really just noticing now.

16. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Agreed, I was never crazy about slinky's but I think these were the Hybrid Slinkys,because the mids really stood out on these

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Mid-october? Quite a long time for me, i usually go about 2 motnhs.

18. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    Figgy, I thought Dargin recently over at the EB forum said that EB's don't take well to tapered strings. Just a thought.

19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Tapered B strings work much better for me, too.

20. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Really?