Sans Amp Acoustic DI vs. Fishman ProEQ

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by rkybtmn, Apr 15, 2004.

1. rkybtmn

rkybtmn Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Does anybody have any thoughts on these two DI's, as they are about the same price? Any feedback would be appreciated.
  2. rkybtmn

rkybtmn Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    I meant the Platinum Pro EQ.
  3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Can you post links? I have a Sansamp RBI, but am not sure if that's what you mean by the "Acoustic" part.

My tongue appears to be strange. :D
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts

The Fishman has some features especially useful for string bass, notably the high pass filter ("depth") and phase inverter switch which combined give very powerful feedback control. It has more EQ bands (5 vs. 3) and a higher input impedance (10Mohm vs. 4.7Mohm) than the SansAmp. I'd go with Fishman for those reasons.

The SansAmp Acosutic DI is a unit similar to the Bass Driver/DI box that the slab guys all love. It is designed for use with acoustic guitars.
  5. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I have the Platinum Bass Pro EQ and it is a fabulous unit. It is an indispensable part of my upright rig. It's also pretty usable with BG but, upright is where it shines.
  6. Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    I have a sansamp acoustic di, I just did a show with it last night. The venue was about a 1000 seater old opera house type theater.
    No amp on stage just the di fed to the house. I got a great sound out of it. This place had a really good seperate monitor mix also and the guy running monitors was just off the side of the stage so he made sure I heard what i needed. I wish every venue had this kind of sound set up. I had the sansamp bass di before and while it is good for bass guitar I didn't like it so much for upright. I think the acoustic di is a better option as far as the sansamp go's.
    I messed around with the pro platinum eq one afternoon and it seemed to have some nice features but I never used it on a gig so I couldn't really compare the two.

7. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I curently use a Sans Amp Acoustic DI, yet with a peizo driven semi acoustic bass geetar...and have used the Fishman with that same inst. and an urb ( I wrote the review of the Fishman for Talkbass, and for the Fishman site).
    Both are phenomenal devices, and both will yield impressive results....this should be tempered on what your PU and bass is.
    As someone mentioned the Fishman has some features especially worthy of your URB players (notch, HPF and mego high impedence) yet some players do not need that. With awell buffered piezo the SAADI works wonders (the blend cntrl is great for removing that pesky piezo "chirp"), and acytaully at 4.7 Megs the input is a high enough impedence to handle moist piezo transudcers.

The best option would be to try both.. and choose for yourself. BUt, that being said, I might lean to the Fishman for most URBs as it is more maleable to thwarting howl and low end anomalies, esp live.
    Whereas the SAADI may work better as a recording device.

FWIW: I sold my Fishman to an Upright player here at TB....for my uses the SAADI works better, and I hope he is happy with it.