1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sansamp in a W active bass? or Compressor?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by GDalbosco, Aug 24, 2017.

1. GDalbosco

GDalbosco

Feb 18, 2017
    Chile
    Hi
    I am starting to use effects pedals and I have the opportunity to buy one. First I want MxR M87 bass compressor to compress a little the signal and get some harmonics. Then someone talk me about the SABDDI and I saw some videos and I like the idea to get vintage tube tones.

Now I have this two (very) different options of pedals and I only can but one at the moment.

Also, I am no sure if the Sansamp works well with my bass because I heard that the SansAmp Bass Driver DI may have problems with some active basses.

I have a Warwick Thumb bolt-on broadneck bass, 5 strings with MEC2 Active Preamp and MEC Pickups, passive/active.

Any one have experience with this bass or similar ones using these pedals? The sansamp will be useful for a bass that already has a preamp?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  2. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    While it's not for me to say if any of the Tech 21 Sansamp DI pedals will give you what you are looking for, until you try them and decide for yourself, I've used my SABDDI with my U.S. Peavey Cirrus 5, which has Peavey's VFL pickups and 18 volt preamp with good results that please me. I adjust for unity gain, blend, and season to taste with the Bass Driver, starting with the Cirrus's preamp e.q. centered at all points, and continue from there, until I get what I want.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    GDalbosco likes this.
  3. GDalbosco

GDalbosco

Feb 18, 2017
    Chile
    Good to hear that the SABDDI works fine with your active bass.
    I love the SVT sound, and I hope to have something similar from using it with my bass.
    The problem is that I don't have the possibility to test it because in my city are only a few stores and they don't have the SABDDI.
    Your answer will help me to decide. Many Tks

thumpbass1 likes this.