1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sansamp or SVP Pro with an Ampeg SVT 4 Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by baxter_x, Aug 4, 2017.

1. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Hi all,

I own a Mesa Titan V12 and used to own an Ampeg SVT 4 Pro. I really enjoy the Titan, but still miss the SVT 4 for its warm heavy sound. But I need distortion too.
    So I was wondering what could be the best between an Ampeg SVP Pro or a Sansamp RPI/RPM/PSA with the SVT 4?
    My guess is the SansAmp as I already have the Ampeg sound with the head. So adding the SVP wouldn't add much expect for distortion.
    Also, I would run the unit in front of the amp, not in the effect loop.

Thanks

2. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    I have an SVP-PRO and an RBI. with a foot switch you'd be able to use the RBI all by itself (with a powe amp of course). Very good preamp.

3. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    The thing is, I'd use it just as a dirty channel. I want to keep the natural sound of the amp.
    As an owner of both how would you compare them?

4. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    My RBI rivals my SVP-PRO as much as I hate to say it. They are both great sounding preamps, I use my RBI a lot now in place of my Ampeg setup. I'll post pictures. I have multiple cabs I use for different venues. 20170802_083549. 20170802_083529. 20170731_155942.

5. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Which one is best for dirt? I guess the sansamp should be better as I already have an Ampeg preamp with the svt.

6. Sans amp gets dirtier. Run it in fx loop and engage with the footswitch

jazzbass_5 likes this.
  7. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    +1 on this

8. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Effect loop means I'll have to bypass the ampeg preamp. Which is something I don't want to do.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Word. Dirt always sounds better hitting the front end anyway.

10. How would you bypass the pre?

Rodslinger likes this.
  11. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    According to the block diagram you won't be excluding the SVT4 preamp section if you use the efx loop. The efx loop comes after the preamp section. Screenshot_2017-08-04-16-26-08.

Gearhead17 likes this.
  12. Plug bass into the svt, plug effects send into RBI and back out to return on the svt

13. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    This way, the Sansamp won't be before the preamp, which is not suitable for dirt I think. Nor I would need an A/B box. But this will bypass the preamp anyway.

14. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    An effect loop always comes after the preamp. That means I'll bypass the preamp. That's not what I want to do.

15. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    This comment isn't right then if your plugging your bass into the SVT first, you wouldn't be bypassing the SVT preamp as you put it, your signal would be going into the SVT first, through the SVT preamp, then out the efx loop, through whatever you have in the loop, then back into the SVT and through the SVT power amp.
    Isn't that what you're looking for?

JimiLL likes this.
  16. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    As for the picture of my SVP-PRO and my SVP-CL, I A/B Them for the desired sound. Seems easiest.

17. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    Disregard the above about the preamp and before after blah blah, I see what you're saying.
    My last comment about running an A/B switch would be best (although I did see you didn't want to do that)
    Sorry about the confusion.

baxter_x likes this.
  18. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    No problem.
    Do you advise me to run the Sansamp in the FX loop or in front of the amp?
    Also, about the dirt sound, which sounds better? The Sansamp or the SVP?

19. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    Personally, I would advise running an A/B switch because as you said, I want either the sound of the ampeg, or when being used the secondary preamp, uncolored by the first.
    To answer your question about which one I like better?
    I like the Sansamp better (ugh, there, I said it.. that really hurt too)
    Because....
    It's more versatile than the SVP-PRO.
    You have no idea how I hate that..
    The SVP-PRO has a great Ampeg sound (as does my SVP-CL) but the Sansamp seems to be more adjustable and I attribute that to the blend circuit. It really is a kick a** preamp.
    I'm playing a show tomorrow and I'll be using the RBI again...
    UGH....

baxter_x and BasturdBlaster like this.
  20. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Well.... I guess you convinced me for the Sans,amp.
    What's the difference between the RPM and RBI? Is the PSA still a good choice?

BasturdBlaster likes this.