sansamp out straight to delta44

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by edisdead, Feb 26, 2005.

1. edisdead

Feb 26, 2005
    Hi guys

I'd like to use my sansamp bddi to go straight into the inputs on my m-audio delta44, to then proceed to record with cubase.

With the level on on the bass driver maxed out the signal entering is still pretty weak - nowhere near as hot as the output from my audiobuddy preamp, for example (with same setup exactly). From what I've read elsewhere on this forum it seems to be because the sanamp output is not exactly a line level output.

What i'd like to know is whether there is anyone who records via a similar setup, and how said anyone boosts the sansamp output - do you run it through a preamp? boost the input gain in cubase? The delta44 also has the option of switching the input to take a -10dB signal. Might this be the best option?

thanks a lot
  2. I use sansamp for recording but I always run it through a preamp. So the setup bass->sansamp->premap works great for me.

3. edisdead

Feb 26, 2005
    What preamp do you use?
    Mine is kinda crappy (m-audio audiobuddy) and I'll soon be investing in something else.
  4. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    The newer SABDDI's have a line/instrument swith that sends a stronger signal to the amp or PA.
  5. edisdead

Feb 26, 2005
    Yeah I came across some references to the new model while looking up info on the thing.
    I ordered mine just a week ago (it arrived yesterday) ... wish they'd sent me the new version!
  6. You could always do the "mod" which would give you a much hotter signal from the XLR (but not, as I understand it, from the jack).

There are a number of threads on it if you want to search under "SABDDI"

Good luck with it. :) :)
  7. I use a Summit Audio 2BA-221 preamp - it is actually a mic preamp (in the first place) but it has also a line and Hi-Z input.

8. Neil C

Neil C

May 19, 2004
    You certainly do need to set your soundcard to -10 to put the Sansamp directly in - this still only goes about halfway up the meter on my Echo Mia card - but I then normalise the recorded track and this doesn't introduce any problem noise for me.
    Doing this results in a better sound for me than going via a pre-amp as well.