1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sansamp VT Bass

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by JimmyM, Sep 7, 2008.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sorry if you covered this in your article (my sub ran out and it hasn't hit the rack yet) but what do you use the VT for? Do you use it to get a specific Ampeg sound or something else entirely? Have you gotten a chance to do any ABing with any of your Ampegs? Do you even care about doing any of that crap? ;)

I'm asking because I've thrown my Ampegs at it and it's been able to model every single tone almost identically to my ears. There's still something about the response when you play real Ampegs that just misses the mark with the VT, but it's so close that you almost don't care. Definitely close enough for sticking in your suitcase when the backline company stiffs you on your SVT. But I wanted to know if you've tried it for actual tone modeling and what you thought, and what you like to use it for.

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Nah, I just use it for another flavor of O/D, not for modeling anything specific. It's such a great pedal.

JMJ

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, it's amazing for OD. It really gets the cranked Ampeg tone. Good call on that one BTW. Another indispensable product you turned me onto!