Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Santi Debriano

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Andy Allen, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've been enjoying Santi Debriano's CD 'Circlechant' since first hearing it on KJAZZ radio aweek or so ago.

As someone who regularly plays Latin Jazz it is good to hear someone playing DB with such a distinct Latin flavour.

Details from AMG here: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?...A099FC9E457FDD6633D2DFC93&sql=10:tb1uak2kkm3m

On searching this forum, I found that he hadn't been discussed before, so have at it! :smug:

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I am currently studying with Santi. He's a wonderful player and human being. I got him to join this site about a month ago but I don't think he's posted anything yet.

3. Andy Allen

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    That's great - you really took the TBDB "Get a Teacher" mantra to heart. :D

It's always good to find out that someone who is making fine music is a fine person too - when you see him next thank him for me for the enjoyment he's given me through his playing.

4. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I will. How I started taking lessons from him was one day I was listening to the local jazz station and they had a live band in the studio. The singer was talking about this bass player (he hadn't shown up yet) and how great he was. Then they started playing (jazz) and I listened to him playing and thought "Wow" what a great player. I would like to take lessons from him someday. I couldn't remember his name but did some searching on the internet and found that he was teaching in MA, so I found his email address and contacted him. My playing has definitely improved. :D

5. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    This is one more shining example of something I have had to re-learn several times in my life: THE TELEPHONE (or internet, as the case may be) IS A POWERFUL TOOL.

Your living musical heroes can be found with modest effort. They put their pants on one leg at a time. They are willing to communicate with you, even if it is briefly to say, "No, I'm not interested in working with you for any amount you can afford." You have nothing to lose by trying to communicate with them. It may require nothing more than a look through the NYC phone-book (online or otherwise).

Is there something you want to ask or say to Mr. Pattitucci or Mr. Clarke or Mr. Gress or Mr. Karr or Mr. Bromberg or Mr. Lovano or Mr. Hancock or . . . . ? It can be done, with patience and respect. You may find yourself enriched by the effort. I value some of the "No thanks" conversations I've as highly as I value some of the acceptances.

I first learned this lesson 25 years ago. I idolized John Abercrombie as a kid. New York phone book + $xx.00 = 1.5 hour "lesson." I got to play with my hero for 90 minutes and all I had to do was pay a bit and take a bus-ride to NYC! He didn't mind at all!

It works, folks. Over and over again, it works.

Bravo, Fred, and here's hoping your lessons continue to be fruitful in all ways.

6. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I was going to "practice" for a year or two to get up to a level where I thought I'd get the most out of lessons from someone of his caliber but I decided not to wait. I'm glad I didn't. He's planning on relocating back to NYC in the near future so I'll have to find a new teacher. I really wanted to spend a couple three years with him but life happens . . .

7. I Met Santi in his native Panama a year ago. There was a Jam at at Jazz place and I lent him my Bass. He´s and incredible Human being. he also came down this year for the 2006 Panama Jazz Festival, invited by Danilo Perez, and made some clinics at the University. He´s the Cat.:hyper:

8. I hooked up with Michael Moore just by sending a short note. He wrote back with his phone number.

9. Andy Allen

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm listening to Danilo Perez' debut album from 1992, and it has Santi Debriano on bass. Great playing and great sound.

I've been a fan of Danilo Perez since I saw him at the Blue Note in NYC in 1996 or '7 with John Patitucci on bass, and it's good to discover an early recording with such talent on it.

Wow, that's ten years ago - SD, DP & JP have made some great music over the last ten years.

Andy

10. Chip Boaz

Chip Boaz

Apr 23, 2004
    Hey Andy, thanks for the heads up on that album, I'm going to have to track it down - what's the album title? You put Patitucci and Santi together on one album, that's a must have for me.

I just heard this album by flautist Mark Weinstein that has Santi on bass. Honestly, its not my favorite album, but there is one track - "Mamita Baila" - where Santi just takes a great solo.

What a player!

11. Andy Allen

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey Chip,

The Danilo Perez album with Santi Debriano on it is just called "Danilo Perez." I'm listening to it for the first time tonight and enjoying it.

The one I have with John Patitucci is "The Roy Haynes Trio, " and I listen to that often.

You have Amoeba Records up your way too, don't you? I teach across the street from the L.A. Amoeba....it's a dangerous place - it calls to me in my breaks between lessons :rollno: :D

Andy

12. Andy Allen

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sorry - I wasn't clear - it's two separate albums - both worth having, see above...

Andy

13. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Chicago
    andy...where do you teach in L.A.?

14. Andy Allen

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA