Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Saw Billy Sheehan with G3 last night.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Papersen, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I bought this ticket about 4 months ago. This was the first
    time they toured South America, so didn´t know if I´ll ever have to chance to see ´em live again.

The overall show was really entertaining (mainly Vai and his band), but what really annoyed (besides the fact that still can´t understand what Robert Fripp was trying to do) was
    that Billy Sheehan was barely audible.
    I mean, he was obviously playing a lot, with his trademark licks here and there, but I almost couldn´t hear him EVEN DURING HIS SOLO.

I know it´s G3 and not B3 but believe me, it was a real pity. I´ve read that it´s not the first time that happens, coz some reviews from previous shows (Mexico and Brazil) described exactly the same.
    OTOH, I could hear Matt Bisonnette much better during Satch show.

2. Bummer on the Sheehan sound getting turned down in the mix.

Billy is my bass hero and I caught the G3 tour in Vegas earlier this year. Too awesome! I recommend the Steve Vai DVD "Live at the Astoria London" for some awesome fretwork by ALL.

3. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    i'm also going to see the sudamerican part of the show (this sunday),

my brother bought vip tickets so i must say yay!
    hope i get to see and hear! all the sheehan stuff, in your case it must have been a real shame to hear billy sheehan buried in the mix, hope that doesn't happen here.

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I recently got the Niacin DVD, "Blood, Sweat, and Beers." There's some stupid camera work, as usual, like closeups of John Novello's face while Billy is soloing, but it's mostly really good. I saw Niacin a little while back, when they did the first stop of the "Time Crunch" tour here in San Diego, and talked to Billy after the show. Heck of a nice guy, bought my wife and me drinks, signed a CD I brought.

Haven't seen the G3 stuff, but I really like Niacin.

5. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I remember being "dragged" to a club in about 1982 because a friend said "you'll love these guys", they have a good bass player. (A slight understatement ;) )

The band was Talas. I was at a table right in front of Billy Sheehan who seemed amused when he made my jaw hit the table and/or my eyes bugle when he'd perform one impossible feet of pyrotechnic after another.

It gets better as he was kind enough to chat with me after the show. You'd expect someone of that talent to be a bit egotistical but he was very gracious and reserved.

After Talas, Billy had the dubious honour of being the most publicized rock musician without a recording contract :(

I was so happy when the tides turned for him all at once. Major exposure with the David Lee Roth Band, followed by Mr. Big, a #1 hit and superstar status. (In Japan, Mr. Big was as popular as air!)

I'm always glad to read something about Billy as he has made tremendous advances in bass guitar technique and deserves all of the accolades bestowed upon him.

6. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Hey, that sounds good.
    Hope you got better luck than me. Also pay attention to Vai`s new drummer (don`t remember his name right now) he`s really impressive.

Buena suerte y que lo disfrutes.

7. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    gracias!