Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Saw Rob Derhak last night

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by boogiebass, Jul 7, 2004.

1. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Solid, tasteful and imaginative player. Good singer, too. Rob was playing a Pedula 4 string through what appeared to be a Mesa M-Pulse amp and Powerhouse cab. Good sound in the house. 4th and B in San Diego.

I was disappointed that there was no bass solos, per se. But Rob could certainly hold it down.

moe.=good

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    This thread works as well as any I suppose:

Saw moe. for the umpteenth time on Friday night at the Fillmore in Denver. Derhak is now playing a Ritter 4-string through the Mesa setup (which is covered with leather) mentioned in boogie's post above. He also splits his signal so that he can switch cabs to his Eden 1x18 for his sub-tones.

With the setup he has now, he seems to have gotten away from slapping for the most part and is now doing more sub-oriented solos.

It's interesting to watch him continue to evolve as a bassist. For years he was known as a big-time slapper, but he ALWAYS maintained a fantastic sense of groove, which is why he has been one of my main influences for the past several years. The guy really understands groove and his lines are perfect for the songs and the jams.

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I recently got the Moe Warts & All volume four, and it's from a 1998 show.....total Stingray sound! You can see how Rob has changed in his playing and sound in the last seven years.
    I really like that band, I guess I'm a Moe-Ron too ;)

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    He'll be back in Diego next weekend but I will miss the show as I have a gig. Damn. :(

5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Caught moe. at Red Rocks on Friday and they were excellent as usual, though Rob was WAY too low in the mix.

For reference, he was playing through two Eden heads and used two Eden 4x10 cabs and an SWR 18. He primarily played his old Pedulla MVP, but also played a Modulus. His Ritter and Mesas were nowhere to be seen.

From the binocs, it looked like he was using a Boss multi board, probably the ME board without the modeling capability.

6. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    Rob is one of the best bassists in "the jam scene" (i hate naming music). I have seen Moe. 4 times this year, rob was not really prominant in the mix at the first show (2-19-05 in lexington for those who use archive) but the other 3 were at summer camp and he shook the earth at those shows. I think im going to catch them with the ABB in cinci on the 20th.