Saw Sting last night....

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jongor, May 11, 2005.

1. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    As part of the Broken Music tour in beautiful Portland, Maine!

I really enjoyed the set, made up mostly of Police songs....bonus!

Bass, drums and two guitarists, one of whom was Dominic Miller.

This tour is being billed as a "stripped down" band, but it worked well.

He did use one of his beat-up old P basses. The sound wasn't too good, but of what I could hear he was getting a nice raspy/balsy tone with tremendous low end.

Before the show I was watching the bass tech get Stings gear ready, it looked like he had another old beater P and what looked like a new shiny one. I wonder if it's one of the Fender signature P's.....
  2. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I saw him in Boston about a year ago toward the end of the "Sacred Love" tour. He opened the show with "Walking On The Moon" playing DB! He's in Providence this week. I regret that I didn't get tix for that show. BTW, his son from his first wife is a bass player (in his early twenties) and is opening for dad on several stops on this tour. the name of the band escapes me, but I think it's something like "Function Plane" ??? Talk about having big shoes to fill!
  3. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    I saw him last summer in Cincinnati. Annie Lennox opened for him. It looked to me like he used the same cream colored P bass for the entire set. He was really on it both singing and playing. He had a great band. One of the finest bassists of our time.

4. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Ya, I was impressed with how well he sang, even the older songs were spot on.

Sting was definately one of my early influences. I still remember where I was when I first heard Roxanne.

There was a picture of him on the back of one of their first albums, with a fretless jazz, that made me buy my first fretless.

5. Fiction Plane.... I have their first album, it's great. They were doing pretty well, but their record label went under about 2 years ago and they were left high and dry. Sting's son Joe is the singer, but he doesn't play bass in the band.
  6. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    He played bass and guitar at the show I went to.

He played an old beat up P similar to his dad's.