Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Scale/Mode Examples

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by cbabbman, Jan 7, 2004.

1. cbabbman

cbabbman Guest

May 2, 2002
    I'm working on nailing down scales and modes, but, just playing a scale or mode doesn't always sink in and help me understand the best way to use it.

I work best from examples so here's what I'm looking for....

can anyone here take a scale/mode and provide the name of a fairly well known song or theme that uses that scale/mode?

As an example (and forgive me if I am wrong):

Lydian Mode - The Simpsons Theme Song

I have to believe that if I have a reference that's familiar to me that all of this would be so much easier to remember...

Thanks!

Chris

2. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    You don't really need that many tricks to "remember" the scales.
    Fact is, it will be very hard to name tunes that are based on a specific scale/mode other than the major (ionian) mode or dorian etc.

Certain scales like superlocrian or dominant diminished (half/whole dim) certainly aren't common in regular tunes but they belong to a certain type of harmony.

What has worked pretty good for me has been to internalize the scales through listening. Sit down at a piano and play each mode over the type chord it applies to lydian over IV , dorian over II etc.

You wanna get the SOUND of the scales and harmony in your head.

Good luck,
    /lovebown

3. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    I reckon that's Lydian Dominant Mode (but I could be wrong) i.e. Lydian with a flattened 7th

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

"So What" by Miles Davis is based on D Dorian Mode - then up a semi-tone - that's it!! ;)

5. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    If i'm hearing the melody in my head correctly, it is lydian dominant.

6. Sten

Sten

Nov 18, 2001
    Estonia
    Maybe not really the right place for the question but...what the lydian dominant actually is? I figure it's a lydian with a note alterted in it? Anyone cares to explain a little?

7. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    it's lydian with a flat 7th, but i look at it more as mixolydian with an augmented fourth. Lots of times it works nicer than mixolydian over dom 7th chords due to the perfect fourth of mixolydian being an avoid note.