1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Scales, chords and modes

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Alexander, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Alexander

Alexander Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I have been working through a lot of music theory and I wanted to pose a question. Essentially, I seem to get the idea there are two ways of thinking about how to use modes to develop a bassline over the chord progression. Here is what I understand (let me know where I might be off track...)

Option #1 : I can play the mode shape most associated with the particular chord type I encounter in the progression. For major chords, that could mean Ionian or Mixolydian (depending on whether or not I want that "happy" major seventh tone). For minor chords, it would be Dorian. A seventh chord would also use Mixolydian.

My instructor showed me this and had me work through the exercise for a G7 chord to walk down the arpeggio (G-B-D-F) and use the Mixolydian pattern (G, F, E, D, C, B, A, G) to navigate my way back to the root. I could then use this arpeggio\scale any time I encounter a G7, regardless of what key I was playing in. If in the key of G, the G7 happened to be the root or playing in D it happened to be the five, it wouldn't matter, the pattern is the same. Using this option, I would likely rarely, if ever use Lydian, Locrian, Phrygian, Aeolian, etc)

This would apply to other chord types as well.

Option Two: Play the mode associated with the scale degree of the chord being played. If I was playing a 1-4-6-5 progression in G, I would use the Ionian, Lydian, Aeolian then Mixolydian modes of the G major scale as we navigate through the progression.

Make sense? (I hope I explained this well enough) It seems that option 1 is easiest, but I have heard that option two is more melodic. Am I on track, here? Is one of these approaches better than the other? Or should I go back to eating carrots? :help:

2. Alexander

Alexander Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    OOPS - I meant to post this in General Instruction... Can a mod help me out? Sorry... :bag:

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Sure, I'll move it - after I offer this. Stay away from option 2!! It will only confuse you.