Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Scales

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Mike Money, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I need to learn more scales... I have major and natural minor down... but all the other weird ones, i need to know.

Scales got me into this lack of creativity, i believe.... and they shall get me out!

any places online that have them in actual music form? i dont want tabs.

2. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
  3. You could try combining them in various ways or making up your own (not that they won't have been tried before). The problem is that if become so dependant on theory, the body of theory as dictated by the musical elite, how will you ever find your real creative self? The bottom line, does it really matter whether you play this or that scale?

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi.

Some time ago, I created the material in the link below for my students. Nothing new here, just put together in a condensed way.

It's written in standard notation and tablature, and for a four string bass. I added the tabs because it's important to know exactly where you should fret the given notes, in order to learn the fingering patterns for each mode.

At least for the modes related to the major scale and the melodic minor scale, there are three possible interval/fingering permutations to be played on a single string:

* 1 half step-1 whole step (fingers 1,2 and 4)
    * 1 whole step-1 half step (fingers 1,3 and 4)
    * 1 whole step-1 whole step (fingers 1,2 and 4. Stretch that hand!)

By combining these three options, you get the patterns for those scales. The harmonic minor scale-based scales/modes, because its added augmented second interval, add other possibilities, but you should be comfortable with the previous material before trying these.

To me, it's very important not only to learn the notes of a scale, but LEARN THE FINGERING PATTERNS as well. The bass has the advantage that, since all strings are tuned by the same interval (perfect fourths), you can apply patterns anywhere in the neck pretty easy.

Now, this material is based on the F major, F melodic minor, F harmonic minor and F major pentatonic scale. You can apply these exercises for any key, using your bass' whole fingerboard, but we can talk about that after you've mastered this material. Let me know.

Unfortunately, I can't post this as an attachment, so I have to use the good ol' YouSendIt service. Here's the rule, again: The file will be available for the next seven days only and for a limited number of downloads. I'd like the mods to check this out and, if you think it's useful for the TB community, maybe you would consider to post it as a sticky material.

Hope this helps.

Link:

http://s21.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0MBN8QVENFMZ41G5ZWGUXLMPIY

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
  6. Do you know the two-octave major and minor scales? Those are necessary as far as i'm concernred