Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

?Scalzilli Repair label?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by KSB - Ken Smith, Dec 9, 2005.

1. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Has anyone ever seen a repair Label with the name "Giovanni Andrea Scalzilli" printed on it? The Label also says 'FECIT ANNUM 1937' The 37 is hand written next to the printed 19. This is in a Bass by 'Carlo Loveri, Napoli 1877' (branded under the Back Button) that I am looking to purchase. Scalzilli made all new Ribs, Neck, Scroll and re-varnished most of the Bass as well as Cut the Shoulders to look like a French Solo Bass. The Varnish under UV light looks to be from at least the 1920s or earlier according to Biase as the color matches Varnished instruments from the beginning of the 20th century. He tells me the UV light helps to date the Varnish by the Hue or Color regardless of when the Varnish was applied.

I will post pics if and after I make my deal. For now I just have it on trial.

2. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Here's an update if anyone in Bassland actually cares...

I decided to call Steven Reiley of the Guarneri House because I saw a Loveri Bass listed on his website. It turns out he has seen pictures of my Bass and has knowledge of it from another dealer. I then mentioned the repairs by Scalzilli and he knows who Scalzilli is! He has seen a Bass that was brought to the west coast from NY years ago and I assume got to work on it. The Bass had an adjustable Bridge and/or repair label from Scazilli in 1936 and I am told he was in New York. Unfortunatly, none of the old guys are around anymore to ask about him.

On another note, it was my first time talking to Steven Reiley and I must tell you what a gentleman he was on the phone. I have always heard good things about him in the past and it all added up in this evenings phone conversation. So, the Scalzilli mystery is solved as he was a repairman/restorer around 1936-1937 in New York.

3. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
  4. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Nice, really nice, and at least from the picture if you look at the figure in the lower back upside-down it looks like a cat's head.

5. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Looks like the underside of an Aligators Jaw to me..lol

Don Z played this bass last friday. Maybe he will come up and share his opinions. On the Bass I mean, not the Cat or Gator thing!