1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Scary problem with my Wal Custom 5. Any help please?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zob, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Zob

Zob

Aug 1, 2012
    Hi there. I'm a new member (today) so please don't flame me if I'm posting this is the wrong forum or haven't searched properly (I've tried!).

I own a number of lovely basses, but my main gigging bass is a gorgeous Wal Custom 5 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wal5stringkauri.jpg)

Yesterday in rehearsal it started to distort quite badly when I plucked aggressively. Assuming a failing battery I came home with a brand new battery today and fitted it.

To my horror, the output level has dropped to almost non existent. It's there, but only just. Really.

I checked it on both pickups and with the active/passive push/pull switch in and out. No difference. Just the very faintest output level.

I tried it in a different amp. I tried different basses in the original amp...

All points to a problem inside my Custom 5.

Can anyone suggest any reason why an active bass should suddenly have such a radical drop in output? Preceded by some nasty distortion.

I'm thinking that some electronic component must have fried. One of those funny capacitor or resistor things that I simply do not understand!!

I'd love to hear some thoughts from some of you more technologically literate guys.

Thanks very much for any advice.

2. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
  3. Zob

Zob

Aug 1, 2012
    I would if I could. Can't even find the link that says: "new thread" in the Wal Club. And yes, I'm registered and logged in.

Either I'm even more stupid than I thought or the forum is really not very intuitive! ;-)

4. Copy your intial post, go to the Wal club thread, and paste the post into the "Quick Reply Message" box near the bottom of the page, then click "Post Quick Reply".

5. Welcome to talkbass!

While on the Wal Club thread page, scroll down all the way to the bottom of the page and you will see the "Quick Reply" box. Write your question there and hit the "Post Quick Reply" button right under the text box! :)

6. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I've got the same bass and have had to chase a couple electrical gremlins.
    First I'd make sure the jack is clean and making proper contact. In all my Wals, the jack has been a very dirty culprit. The other dirt culprit is the pickup connector mulit-pins at the boards.
    If it's not that, I'd then carefully and slowly inspect every solder joint with a magnafying glass and light. Make sure the battery leads are still soldered to the board, and every wire still soldered to the output jack (there's about 4 or 5).
    I've had to remove the boards from the bass for servicing. It's not difficult at all, but just work gently.

7. Zob

Zob

Aug 1, 2012
    Thank you very much for your responses and advice. Much appreciated.

I will post on the Wal board and also check out the things you recommend, Caca.

Thanks again.

8. Zob

Zob

Aug 1, 2012
    So, thanks to Caca De Kick's advice I spent a little time cleaning around the jack input, with a burst of switch cleaner.

The result?

She's working perfectly again!

I would never have though of such and elegantly simple approach.

That's why i LOVE forums like this one.

Thanks all and especially Caca.

Best wishes to all.