Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schaller Straplock Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BassManPatsFan, Apr 18, 2004.

1. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Well, I'm not sure where this should go, so Mods you can feel free to move it.
    Here'#### problem. I just got Schaller straplocks to go on my Spector, but I'm having a few problems. First of all, the screw is too small, but I am going to try the toothpick and wood glue trick. However, my main problem is that my thick Levy's lether strap doesn't really fit on the schaller locks. I've tried squishing it down, but it won't give me enough thread to put on the washer and the nut. Is there anything I can do for this or should I just go back to the strap buttons the bass came with? They worked very well with my strap and the bass never fell off, but I would like to have straplocks. This is also the second set of straplocks I have bought for this bass, and I'm not sure if I will be able to return either set. (The other set was Dunlop DD, but they looked like pure crap IMO because there were like three or four tiny metal balls holding up my expensive 8 or 9 pound spector) If anyone has any ideas on how I could get the schallers to work properly, please respond.

2. BassManPatsFan

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Nevermind, I just put the original strap buttons back on the bass and they work perfectly. The flange (sp) is extra wide so that my super-duper Levy's strap fits on well and probably won't come off. I'm going to try to return the schaller loks because they weren't really "sealed" when I bought them, so I'll just stuff them back in the case and take them back to the store. As for the dunlops... Straplocks Anyone? I was just kidding when I said they were crap... :D :bag:
    :bassist: :smug: :bassist:

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Elmers Wood Filler... Tooth picks... matches...

All are friends when the screw doesnt fit,

4. BassManPatsFan

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Yah, I woulda done that, except the main problem was that the strap locks didn't fit on my thick Levys leather strap. I'd rather keep the $50 dollar strap than 15 dollar loks, so I took the schallers out and went back to the original strap buttons. They work fine for now.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, I had the same problem. You can trim out the hole a bit, or just push the strap on there with a smaller flathead screwdriver. That works pretty well, and then the thing will not move.

6. BassManPatsFan

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    ha ha i got the schallers on.
    Thanks for your help.

7. Im glad you got it resolved. I had the exact same issue with my Ibanez and Schallers, and used the toothpick and woodglue solution. Everthing is nice and solid and my straplocks are working nicely.

8. I just drilled out the Schallers and used the larger screws on my BTB. I prefer using larger screws than what came with the strap locks. Also, I had the same problem getting the nut and washer started on my Levy's strap. I was able to get the nut started without the washer, so I compressed the thick leather with just the nut. I took the nut off and then was able to re-install with the washer and nut together. Also, I had a strap nut come off once letting the bass drop (I caught it before it hit the floor), so I put a drop of super glue on each nut to prevent it from loosening. Anyway, I'm pleased with my Schaller installation.