Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schecter Stiletto custom 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tekhna, Feb 4, 2005.

1. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I am thinking about picking one of these up, but I have not had a chance to play one. I like the looks, and the idea of it, although I would probably switch the EMG-HZs out.

Anyone have any opinions on them? I have seen a lot of good reviews.

http://www.pulseonline.com/Schecter/Custom5Nat.jpg

Anyone who works at GC know what you guys pay for them, for bargaining purposes?

2. Marshes

Marshes

Sep 20, 2004
    Instead of going for the custom 5, try going for the studio 5. If you find it at GC it will look very orange if new. but dont worry, the orange will age into brown. The reason i sguest this is because it is a neck thru for considerably cheap (i got mine at GC for 600 with a pair of new strings).

I can get great tone out of the EMG-HZ's!!
    Other than the neck thru and the woods used, not much diffrence between it and the custom 5

3. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

hmm... I kind of like the punch of the bolt-ons, but I do like the Bubinga and the multi-laminate neck. The studio might be the way to go...
    I just like the colour contrasts on the Custom in terms of aesthetics. How do you like the neck on your Stiletto?

4. i can't say anything for the 5 but i've had the 4 for over a year. i am still impressed. the sound is so clear and so punchy, the neck is fast yet not too thin, the electronics are good quality, in fact the whole bass is. for the price it isj sut an amazing instrument.

ps. the stock strings are GREAT, at least the ones that came on mine.

wonderful instruments. hope i was some help!

5. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

Sure were! I am getting more and more convinced here, although the last thing I need to do is spend more money!
    I would go for one of California Custom 5s, with real EMGs and the BTS preamp, I just absolutely cannot stand quilted maple. I might have to give in and go with the California though, because at least on paper it is very well appointed.

6. oh man, i think the quilted maple is beautiful, i would prefer a darker finish though, either way you go i'm sure you're going to be getting a good bass, schecter jsut puts togetehr a good instrument. good luck!