1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Scherl & Roth

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by bluemonk, Apr 28, 2010.

1. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    I'm the proud new owner of a Scherl & Roth upright. Does anybody know how to find model and dating info? It says R60 E2 on the label followed by a specific serial #. Nothing comes up when I google the model number.
    Thanks!

2. Bass Barrister

Bass Barrister

Nov 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Glaesel/Scherl & Roth is now part of the Conn-Selmer music conglomerate. The model number you list does not appear on their current list. At one time, S&R, based in Cleveland, was known for imoorting some of the better student/intermediate grade strings from Germany, and the "Roth" part of the time was one of the brothers of E.H. Roth.

More current S&R instruments come from China, Romania, and, in some cases, from Germany. The overal quality is not as good as earlier products, but their better models may be somewhat decent.

You might want to try and contact Glaesel/Scherl&Roth and see if can proved some info as to your specific instrument. Be warned, however, that they are not very receptive to inquiries and may well ignore you or blow you off with some useless response.

3. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
  4. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    Thanks, all, for the info. I'll check the website. I had read the numbers wrong for the posting anyway. Had already searched, Jake, but thanks.