Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schertler Pub280 question

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Norre, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Norre

Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Does anybody know how the Pub 280 handles a bassguitar?
    I've heard a guy play through a Unico (at a "low" volume) and he sounded OK. I'm looking for a small double bass amp that's also capable of producing a decent sound with a bassguitar. I know a small amp will never sound like a full-stack Aguilar, but that's OK for me. It's my intention to play a lot more double bass than bassguitar.

Thanks

2. What I heard you need at least two Pubs or a Pub and a Pub subwoofer. In an older thread a member complained that he blew the Pub's speaker when using an electric bass. But I am sure Pub owners like Monte and Adrian can give more insightful answers than I can...

Vincent

3. Norre

Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Thanks for the reply Vincent :)
    Right now I'm having a hard time to decide which amp to go for. The amps have to be small, but weight is not really an issue for me. I have 3 "competitors":
    - Schertler Pub 280
    Pos: great DB sound, small, cheap
    Neg: can it handle a BG? :confused:
    - AER Basscube
    Pos: great DB sound, small, can handle BG
    Neg: very expensive :crying:
    - Hevos Midget Combo
    Pos: small, can handle both DB and BG (according to Rob
    from Hevos)
    Neg: haven't heard a DB through a Hevos yet :meh:

4. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    The first thing to remember is that the Pub has no preamp. Secondly, the Pub is very high fidelity. It is designed for natural reproduction and I don't think it has much of a specific voicing so it may be a little dull for electric use. Thirdly, the single low frequency driver is small - 8". It is clearly capable of high SPL but I can believe that it could get blown by an electric player. I don't want to stereotype electric players but there are some who crank EVERYTHING up including all the EQ and all the level controls and then wonder why they blow drivers on some systems.

I think the only way to know is to try one. The fact that someone played an electric through a Unico which has less power, shows that it can be done but I think it really depends so much on what kind of sound and what output levels you are looking for.

Adrian

5. Norre

Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Thanks for the info Adrian.

I have a Raven Labs PMB-II that I can use as a preamp so I think (hope) that shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah, you're 100% right. Unfortunately that's really mission impossible here in Belgium ... but I found a luthier in Germany who sells both Hevos and Schertler. I'll probably make an appointment soon and try both amps. :bassist:

PS: for everyone who's having a hard time choosing between schertler and other brands (f.e. AER), I found these funny pics on the net. :D :D

6. I think both of them will be great for double bass, but with the Hevos being more suited for electric bass than the Schertler would. This, however, at the cost of sounding a bit less natural than the Schertler.

Keep us posted of the results of your comparison!

Vincent

7. Norre

Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I was thinking the exact same thing.
    It's too bad that Glockenklang don't produce any small combos :bawl:

Lately I've been thinking more and more about quitting the bassguitar and concentrate only on double bass. I've still got so much more to learn (on both intstruments) and I really don't have the time to practice them both (I'm not a professional musician ... not even close :D ).
    Anyway, I'll let you know how they compare.

8. In fact, they do: the Passenger Combo. Or you can go the expensive way, as I did, and buy two Acoustic Art Cabs plus a power amp. Both options are ver ygood for bass guitar, too.

Well, I do not want to push you in a certain direction, but that is what I did, too. I ultimately quit bass guitar to focus exclusively on double bass. For the occasional pop gig I use my Fichter EUB, which is fun!

Good luck in your quest and keep us posted!

Vincent

9. Norre

Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Vincent,

I've already seen and played through the Passenger Combo and it sounded great, but I don't really consider that a small amp (compared to the other ones on my list).

That would be a great rig indeed, but that's a little too expensive ... and not small :meh:
    What do you use for a preamp?

The reason I'm looking for something small is because I have a really small car (Peugeot 106). When I put the rear seats down and put my DB in the trunk the car is already full.
    I only have a bit of room on the passenger seat next to me for an amp and other stuff. I don't think the Passenger would fit in the passenger seat .... :confused: ;)
    Also, I must be able the carry it all by myself on and of stairs and in and out of the car.

10. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Gee they were interesting - where did you find those?

Adrian

11. Norre

Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I found them at the site of BMI , an official Schertler dealer for the Benelux area.
    Click on Schertler in the left menu.

12. I use the Schertler PreAII with both theDyn-B transducer on my acoustic and with my Fichter, which soon will be outfitted with a Schertler Bluestick instead of the Highlander it sports now.
    Sounds like you gig in the same car as I do! I don't know how you transport your bass, but I put it on her side, with the neck between the front seats. That way i can place one cab next to the bass, together with the power amp (a Lab Gruppen iP450), and the other on the front seat with the Fichter. Don't forget to use the seatbelt! (No joke.)

The Passenger Combo can, as far as I can tell, be placed on the front seat without any problem.

Good luck with your search!

Vincent

13. Norre

Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    :(

Hmmm ... I don't know. Is it stable that way?
    I'm always very protective about my DB ... I love her too much :smug:

Seriously, I've never really thought about putting her on her side. But you're right, there's much more room left open that way. Thanks for the tip.

14. No problem. I gig like this for years now without any disasters. Just make sure the bass cannot move and that the stuff you put next to it is stable enough so it does not move, either.

Vincent