SCHROEDER...............loud enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Aug 23, 2004.

1. right know i own the behringer bx3000t 300watts at 4ohms and the avatar 8 ohm 2x12 cab so basicall i am only pusshing 1645 watts right now and it works pretty good i could use a little more head room though. anyways i am plannging on buy a qsc rmx 850 or the other one a step up (i cant remember the number for it), a BBE pre-amp the solid state one, and i will use this with my avatar 2x12 until i can afford two smaller more portable cabs, i was thinking about the schroeder 1212 and the schroeder1210, that way i could use the 2x12 for small gigs and practicing and add the 1210 for big outdoor type gigs. would the schroeder 12112 be lloud enoughp for gigs and practicing? my guitarest uses a fender all tube 50 watt super reverb and the drummer is loud we play blues/rock. could some of you give me some other cab setupds to think about like amybe 2x1212 or 2x1210s or a 1212 and 1010.

2. I personally think that 2x12s should be fine for practicing. I sometimes practice with only one 12 with 2 guitarists and a drummer and have no problem. I'm playing with about 500W though.

3. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    From what Ive heard, the Shroeder's will do the trick for you and are very light and portable as well. Blew me away when I heard them at the DFW GTG.
  4. Umm... YES!!! The cab will be loud enough!!! I used my 1210 the other day in a room 15 by 15 with a very loud drummer playing a custom DW kit, a guitarist that is completely deaf using a Peavey 5150 and stack, and rhythm(less) guy playing a B-52 stack. My 1210 was more than enough. Of course I was powering it with one half of my Stewart 2.1. The 1210 is a GREAT cabinet. With more low end than you would ever imagine out of a cab that small. Although I am not all that familiar with the 1212 I believe it would offer a little more depth, but lose a little of the punch. My personal thought, is get the 1210 instead of the of the 1212 if you are only getting one. And that's coming from a guy playing a five string tuned down A/D/G/C/F.
  5. My experience isn't with the Schroeders, it's with the Avatars.

By all means check out some other cabs but don't sell your b212 short. I run my 4 ohm B212 with 1100w once in a while and it sounds much better then with the 450 it usually gets. These cabs like power and only get better with more.

When you buy a power amp try to get one with at least 1000w @8ohms bridged mono and give it a try. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
  6. iv been reading up on those schroeder threads and i was origignally think about the 410 or the 21012 but after some of the reviews i think it might be too loud, i mean it would be great for outdoor gigs but what if i have a little gig like at a party or a small room? teh 410 would probably be too loud for it which wouldn be fun i dont think. would the 410 be too loud at a small gig? wopuld it be better to get (2)1210s it would be alot more expensive but do you think that would be a better idea?
  7. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Too loud? There's no such thing ;)

The Schroeders tend to be on the loud side, but they don't really need that much wattage to "open up," so to say. I drive them with a few watts from my poweramp when I'm just practicing, or throw a few hundred at them when I'm playing louder. Either way, they sound pretty good, very deep, and very loud ( given their size ). If you're used to playing into an 8x10", a 1210 won't do, but a 410 or a 21012 might.
  8. Well.... everyone's circumstances are different. But, I would say this, the 1210 will easily "replace" most 410's. So... if you were conteplating a 410 based on other manufactures... the 1210 would probably be more than enough. If you are wanting something along the lines of an 810 or a 410 and 212... you might think of one of the bigger Schroeder boxes.

If the cost is not prohibitive... I might start with the 1210... It will surprise you (well... maybe not... it's certainly been hyped... but in this case I think it deserves it). If that's not enough, you can get another 1210 or a 1212 to go with it. Or if you are completely insane... you can get a 21012 to go with the 1210, and will never have to worry about cabinets again. However; lo-freq has one of the 410's, and I have heard it. It is a GREAT sounding cab. Not as deep as the 21012, but a little more punchy. A great all around cab, and would probably work well for any circumstance. I liked the 1210 better, based on size, and weight, and the 1210 just did it for me.

There's my .02 and it's probably not worth that.
  9. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    The Schroeder 410 strikes me as the King of PUNCHY, powerful, balanced, great bass tone.

I play a BEADG 5 string StingRay and the 410 has great tone and cut-through from low 'B' on up.

LOUD or quiet, it just sounds awesome.
  10. and is it a pain inteh ass to get around to move and stuff?
  11. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    23" x 23" x 16" & 78 lbs

I'm an past-middle-aged dude with a bad back.
    I use a hand truck to get it to and from the back seat of my Honda (hand truck in the trunk) -- no bother -- cab, rig rack, & gig bag in one load.

Casters are available, but I think I like the hand truck better.
  12. thaks for the help lo-freq

what do you think about this setup

QSC RMX 850

that would blow my behringer avatar rig away huh?
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

In volume and headroom, definitely. And IMHO, it would give you better tone, too.
  14. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Truthfully, I haven't heard the type system you have, but I would be surprised if it didn't.

I would compare the Tech 21 RBI to the BMAX and see which you prefer. I finally got to hear an RBI and it's surprisingly good and very tonally versatile (even though I wasn't impressed with sound clips I've heard of it), (just from the clips I've decided the BMAX-T sounds really nice -- a bit more $$ though & it's not as versatile as the RBI).

You might also consider a 2nd hand RMX1850HD (if you can find one) -- the Schroeder 410 is rated at 1400W; I drive mine with a PLX1602 bridged and it can get extremely loud.
    Plenty of power for bass is a good thing.

Good luck.
  15. i have a behinger bx3000t head 3--watts and a avatar 2x12 at 8ohms so i am only pushing 165 watts through it, i know the QSC BBE SCHROEDER setup would kill my setup now!

anyways i think i am just going to spend an extra 100 bucks on a RMX1450 it would be perfect beacuse the RMX1450 runs at 1400 watts in bridged mono at 4 ohms.
  16. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    And just another option... personally, I never had much luck with my Schroeder using an RBI. It just didn't sound right. I'm starting to prefer the sound of my bass with no tone shaping... the Schroeder has a slightly colored sound that works well with my bass. I wouldn't mind a preamp with a parametric equalizer though, so I could fine tune.
  17. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    If you like a clean sound with a massive low end, that's what you'll get with the BMAX.

If you don't have an active BG, you may have problems trying to attenuate the low end in boomy venues as the bass control is boost only.
  18. well i play in a blues/rock band so i don like alot of low-end and clean sound but you dont think i could tame the low end ion the BBE
  19. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Well, you can always solo on the bridge pickup, pick down by the bridge, etc. if you're desperate.
  20. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF

Really. That's interesting. What didn't you like about the sound? What was there, what was missing, etc..? I just gigged with my RBI for the first time this weekend, and damn it's great! I could use a little bit more low end on it, though. But that's probably because I'm used to at least 1 15" cab in my rig, and now I'm on a 6x10. Still, the RBI in my setup is great. I'll probably get the RPM too, though, as it has more switchable options and stuff on it. Or I could just get a BBE 362 again. That'd definitely help out some.