1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SCN or EMG?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Clarkus Miller, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Clarkus Miller

Clarkus Miller

Oct 5, 2008
    I have a 2008 American Standard J bass. I like the sound but I want a tighter sound for funk and jazz, I play alot of slap. Should I go EMG J-set or Samarium Cobalt noiseless, or maybe someone has another suggestion.

Also what's the difference between EMG and EMG X?

Thanks in advance.

2. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Bump. I'm also looking to get some EMGs and I don't know the difference (other than price) between the 45DCs and the 45DC-Xs (or any EMG/EMG-X comparison).

3. between SCN and EMG, I would go EMG, quiet preamp, and tight sounding (they sound compressed and even sounding, which may be what you need for funk) And I have not heard the X series yet, so I can't comment on that.

4. Clarkus Miller

Clarkus Miller

Oct 5, 2008
    I had another idea. Maybe, instead of either of those things I could just keep the stock pickups and get an onboard preamp? It's a 2008 american jazz. Would the pickups be too noisy? And if so, would shielding the compartment remedy the problem? Thanks guys

5. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I've had the EMG-J pickups before and they sound really good and cost about the same as getting an onboard preamp plus they are much easier to install yourself.

That being said, my Jazz Bass has Antiquity II pickups (passive) with an onboard preamp and I think the bass has the active sizzle but sounds more natural and with more character. EMG's are cool for what they do but if you want the natural sound of your bass to come through an onboard preamp might be a better deal. I would recommend an Audere or John East. The Audere's are easy to install and inexpensive. The John East preamps are easy to install but more expensive. Either will suit you well.

Add: An onboard preamp will maintain the natural sound of your bass while adding the active sizzle. EMG's will give you the active sizzle but you will lose some of the natural tone and character of the bass with them.

6. I've got a few PJ basses, 2 with EMGs and one with Barts. There aren't many pickups that can get the focused tone of the EMGs, although I don't know anything about the new X series. The bass with Barts is fretless and has a somewhat focused vibe, but the pre-amp can really warm things up. There aren't many pickups out there that can get clear, focused, and quiet like an EMG.

My recent acquisition was a bass with EMGs and a Mike Pope pre-amp. I dig the sound of EMGs, but they tend to be a tad one-dimensional on their own. The Pope pre really adds a nice degree of flexibility, especially the 12v version.

7. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I had an American Dlx Jazz with a set of SCNs and I really like them. Of all the "noiseless" Jazz pickups I've heard, they come the closest to sounding like an actual single-coil pickup. And they are DEAD silent. But, they still don't have all the crunch of a true single-coil. And they are more "traditional" sounding than EMGs, which are extremely focused and modern.

Basically, if you like the Jazz tone and want something similar to that but noiseless and a little more modern, get the SCNs. The EMGs will drastically change the tone of your instrument, that might be good or bad depending on what you want. EMGs will definitely sound more modern than Jazz pickups, even hum-cancelling ones.

I would do the SCN pickups AND an Audere JZ-3 preamp. And, maybe if you aren't sure, you should start with the pre and do the pickups later.

8. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    +1 EMG's sound good but they "take over" the bass and make your bass sound like any other bass that has EMG pickups. They have a sound in and of themselves. They sound cool but they're not the end all for me.

Try a preamp first and then go for pickups later if you still think it's necessary. Most preamps can control the noise so you can pretty much use any pickups if you are pairing them with an onboard preamp.