Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Scontrino's concerto

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by billybass, Mar 1, 2005.

1. billybass

billybass

Oct 14, 2003
    New Orleans
    Does anyone have any info on the Scontrino Concerto. An old edition of the Comprehensive Catalog of Available Literature for the Double bass has it listed and the only info on it is that it is published by Doblinger. The current Doblinger catalog does not have it. Any help finding the music or any info on the composer would help.

2. DonQuartz

DonQuartz

Dec 18, 2004
    Ontario
    Scontrino's Concerto was published by Oscar Zimmerman (Zimmerman Publications) and I am sure it is still readily available. The concerto itself has had the reputation of being the bass's answer to the Brahms violin concerto!
    It was originally written for high solo tuning and it is a very challenging work.

3. I got a copy of Scontrino's Concerto.

Edited and published by Oscar G. Zimmerman
    90 Westminster Road - Rochester, NY 14607
    dated 1980

The Foreword says :
    "Antonio Scontrino (born in Trapani, Sicily, 1850 - died in Florence, 1922) was a prodigy, who played DB in his father's "Children's Orchestra" by the age of nine, and who toured widely as a virtuoso before he was twenty. He ultimately abandoned his concert career to devote full time to composition, which he taught at the Palermo Conservatory and, from 1892 to his death, at the Florence Conservatory.
    Scontrino composed chamber music, orchestral pieces,- and five operas. The Concerto for DB and orchestra is by far the most important work among those he wrote for the instrument, which, as a young man, he played so well.
    Warnecke, in 1909, described it as "a counterpart, in form and content to the Brahms Violin Concerto", and called for its immediate publication. This edition is the first to grant that wish, and to make this virtually unknown Romantic Masterpiece easily available to the modern player.

Oscar G. Zimmerman "

Well, this piece contains a clear Brahmsian inspiration, some phrases
    recall Brahms. Certainly it lacks respiration and genuine construction.
    To me it doesn't seem very attractive at a first reading. It would be worth analise further the structure of the piece, and above all I would like to have an idea of the original orchestration. Maybe it would be nice to hear with orchestra, although I doubt it is a masterpiece.
    1st movement, I wouldn't say that it is great music, but it seems an excellent piece for technical training, like Bottesini No.2 or Nino Rota
    (which are real good music).

4. billybass

billybass

Oct 14, 2003
    New Orleans
    I found a copy online and ordered it. I agree that it was an attempt to copy the Brahms style and it very hard to judge this piece with out hearing the orchestration. I find it frustating that there are no fingerings in it. Whenever a piece is written by a bass player the layout of the bass is always incorporated in the writing. I do not know if to approach it with an up and down the string style or an across the string approach. It is like trying to play Rabbath's music without understanding his fingering system. Rabbath is still around teaching his style but unfortunately Scontrino is not. The other thing that bothers me is that there are many sections of harmonics with a few non harmonic notes interspersed. I have never been comfortable playing a melody in harmonics and having to press down a few notes in between. The pressed notes sound so different that those notes feel like mistakes. Enough of my technical problems. I plan on spending a couple of weeks diving deeper into the music before putting in the pile of music that I order, try, give up and talk about how one day I will do it. A recording would great but I do not know of one available. If anybody has one please let me know