Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Score!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Check out this deal I just won! Anybody know anything about these heads? I talked him into shipping it to me.

Link to Deal

2. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    That amp is thepredecessor to the AMP BH420, the father of the Thunderfunk.

they typically go for 700- 800 due to their scarcity and desirability by those who know about them.

It was often reported that JACO used one until it was stolen, and he was unable to find a replacement. he then settled for the AMP.

nice grab.

3. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    :bassist:

(ok, just kidding)

:D

4. Quadzilla

That's a good one man! Funny part is that I also own a BH-420 :D ! Anyway, I did a little research on this old head. It's a all tube head and from what little I've read here and on Harmony Central, they have great tone and are bullet-proof. Here is a little info:

Earth Sound Research B-2000 SuperBass Head:

(from Harmony Central)
    It has 4 6L6 and 3 12AT7 tubes. It is a copy of the Marshall Superbass, which was a copy of the Fender Bassman. By changing four capacitors and 3 resistors it converts into a copy of the Marshall Superlead. It's all point-to-point hand wired, one channel, two inputs, one of which is labeled Super, and there's a switch labeled "Deep", which is a bass boost.

(from fellow TBer "Throbbinnut" on another thread)
    I love the Superbass B2000. I think your talking about the tube model, right? Copy of a Bassman 100. It's got (4) 6L6GC's, so it's only 100 Watts. The "2" in 2000 refers to the 2 channels - Regular and Super. I've rebuilt a couple for folks and they love them. They're the perfect cheap tube head that you can use as a workhorse and you don't have to worry about them falling out of the back of a truck, like you said. For $250 with a cabinet, I'd go for it. Best thing to do is get the power supply capacitors replaced, and possible retube it if need be. So for another $100 it'll last another 30 years!

So it looks like I got a good used bass and an all tube head in working condition for $200 + shipping. Not a bad deal. I'll prob sell the bass and keep the head...

5. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    that sounds like a really great deal.

I saw in your profile that you had and use the bh420, so i pretty much knew youd see through the joking!

i wonder how many other great deals are out there waitin to be had!?

good luck with it!

Oh, hows the bass?

6. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    nice one, quad!
    that amp is killer!
    and a beater bass too!
    congrats
    d

7. Wow. You did great!

I mean: a bass and such a head for 200?! That's a killer deal!
    Was it a ninja attack? :ninja:

8. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Great deal! They have that same amp with a matching 1x18 cab for 400 at a local guitar shop. My friend bought it to learn bass, but it was too loud. Sounded great though!

9. Quadzilla

Thanks guys! Seems like a hell of a deal for an all tube head that still works plus I get an axe too! I'll let you know how it works. Anybody here ever play one?

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Interesting. I saw that rig in a pawn shop not too long ago when I was in Everett. I was driving by, and saw it in the window. I went inside to check it out, but the sales guy wasn't interested in letting me hook it up.

If the seller gives you any trouble, let me know. I can make sure you get it.

-Mike

11. bumma..i live about 20 minutes south of there..need to be paying better attention to da bay..make sure to give a sound report..how much was shipping? :ninja:

12. The auction says "pickup only."

EDIT: After re-reading the first post, I guess you arranged a deal to have it shipped despite what it says.

13. Quadzilla

Thanks Mike. So far seems like there will be zero issues with him shipping it to me (he is going dumpster diving at guitar center for boxes this afternoon and going to ship it later today or this weekend.

So you literally saw this setup (bass and head) for sale a while back in that pawn shop? Interesting... Here is a closer up pic that he sent me last night. Look to be in damn good shape for an all-tube head that was built in the early 70's

[​IMG]

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah. It caught my eye as I drove by since I had no idea what it was. I went inside, and the dude behind the counter wouldn't take it out of the window so I could check it out.

-Mike

15. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Yeah i played the one that my friend had. It was really loud. And sounded quite good. I would have preferred hearing it through a 12" speaker rather than an 18, but it still sounded solid.

16. Quadzilla

Well the good news is that this head will be pumping thru 12"s (I have 1 Aguilar 2x12 and 1 Aguilar 1x12)! :D

17. Man! That sucks! How the heck's he supposed to sell inventory that way??? I guess I won't be hitting Everett pawn shops anytime soon... :scowl:

18. Quadzilla

Update:

He could not get boxes but shipped it to me via the UPS Store were they are boxing it up, etc. Man the packing and shipping alone is damn near what I paid for the bass and head. What a rip!!! I still think I'm making out for that money. You tell me...