scrapple from the apple

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by bassmonkey144, Jan 22, 2006.

1. i have a version of this song, where it's just the piano, bass and set. I really dig the upright bass sound, and the lines the guy is doing. Does anybody have a transcription of the bass line for this song, or should I just go off the chords and try and figure it out? Thanks.
  2. BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    A BeBop classic! Every bass player will have their own line for this song, there isn't a standard line.

So.... sharpen you pencil and have a great time.
  3. ha ha. any idea where i can find the chords? My standards book doesnt have it.
  4. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    The Colorado Cookbook p192
    The Jazz Fake Book p327
    Real Book 1 p369
    Library of Musicians' Jazz p110

The Colorado Cookbook is my favourite out of those.
  5. Andy Allen

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA

That's directly out of the Colorado Cookbook - no warranty implied :p
  6. thanks man. i'm off to the proverbial races then.
  7. bass_means_LOW

Apr 12, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Don't forget the intro and outro. Can be heard on several recordings.
    The one that comes to mind is Oscar Peterson with George Mraz from mid 70's.
    Also Richie Cole and Phil Woods recording has a slightly different version.
  8. Andy Allen

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    In another of those strange TBDB coincidences, shortly after I posted above I went to see Jennifer Leitham with her piano/drums trio just up the street at Charlie O's.

And she played Scrapple From The Apple - I can't remember when I last heard it played locally - and did a great job of playing the head in unison with the piano player, some nice bebop walking under the piano solo and a cool solo herself. Probably the tune I enjoyed most that evening, what with it's timeliness to this thread and not having heard it for a while.
  9. willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    I have seen Jennifer play many times at the elkhart jazz fest when we both were performing there.I am a electric bassist (slab)and she was playing some thing's that would be almost impossible on electric much less upright.also having seen her before and after her transition IMO she played even better after,maybe she could relax and be herself.on the other hand some of the comment's behind her back by some very well known jazz musicians made me sick.
  10. ctcruiser

Jan 16, 2005
    West Haven, CT
    I will be in Orange County on a business trip between 2/12 and 2/15. I checked the website and she is playing with Jack Sheldon and a singer named Melodye at a place called Cavalino (formerly Kikuya) in Huntington Beach on the 14th. I will try to make the show. It would be great to watch a fellow southpaw playing the upright.
  11. JPBass

Aug 31, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Jennifer blew me away the last time I saw her. She is an awesome bassist.
  12. ctcruiser

Jan 16, 2005
    West Haven, CT