1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

scratchy output jack

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by zphreaky1, Nov 1, 2013.

1. zphreaky1

zphreaky1 Far from good

Apr 25, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Just got a new to me spector q4 pro. The output jack is a little scratchy. Should I straight away replace it or clean it or? I did a little searching and didnt come up with anything right away so I figured I would post. If someone has a thread to point me to that would be great.

2. Itzayana

Itzayana

Aug 15, 2012
    Oakland Ca
    Try cleaning it first. That often does the trick and is cheaper than surgery.

3. zphreaky1

zphreaky1 Far from good

Apr 25, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Ok I cleaned it as best I could. Still scratchy.

Not sure where I go to get a replacement. Will any stereo jack do?

4. Yeah, any stereo jack works.

It's probably easier to replace it than to have bothered with trying to fix it, anyway.

5. LowBC

LowBC Commercial User

Nov 17, 2008
    Music Go Round - Aurora, CO (owner) We buy used gear!
    Replace it!!

Those barrel jacks just kinda 'go' after awhile; I'm in the repair biz and I just think of those as a "wear part" that will have to be swapped out periodically.

good luck!

6. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    +1 If it's a barrel jack this is truth.

On a panel jack you can often bend the contact tabs to resurrect it for a while, but on a barrel jack you can't reach anything. Hence buy a couple new jacks and throw them in the gig bag pocket or hard case compartment so when the time comes around again you'll already be ready.

7. I'd replace the jack. A good one is what, $5? A cheap one is a waste. Don't bother with those.

As far as cleaning a jack, I find that a .22 caliber bore brush works well for this. I keep one in my gig bag for emergencies. This is good for getting through a gig, but usually not a long-term fix.

8. zphreaky1

zphreaky1 Far from good

Apr 25, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    So is there a good place to order them online?

9. I'd go with Switchcraft. If it's the barrel type, it's a part number 151 for mono or 152 for stereo. There are plenty of sources for them, but the ones that go for $5 are from companies I'm not familiar with... You can buy em all day for $10 a pop from all the top suppliers. Shop around a bit, and you should be able to get a good deal.

10. zphreaky1

zphreaky1 Far from good

Apr 25, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Thx heavy! Will do

11. zphreaky1

zphreaky1 Far from good

Apr 25, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Ok ordered one and installed. Problem gone! Thanks all!

12. The contacts are plated, once the plkating is worn, the jack should be replaced. Smart move and it's a cheap easy DIY.