Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by salsjag, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Plexiglass Screens
    Evey once in awhile I see a clear plexiglass screen directly in front of the drummer. What purpose does this serve? Is this used to dampen the volume of the drummer?
  2. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    You know those cages you they put round dangerous animals in the zoo... ? ;)

Actually, you're spot on. The aim is to cut down the acoustic volume of the drums; if your quietest sound is a loud drummer, the overall volume can get painfully loud very quickly.

3. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Anyone "made" any of these?
    Seems fairly simple...just wondering.
  4. wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    We use a plexi shield for the drummer. It cuts volume some, but the main benefit is keeping drums from saturating the vocal mics in front. Less bleed, more control, all those good things. If you have the drummer backed up to a wall, you'll still get alot of drum off the back, unless you have a shield there, maybe covered with foam to soak up the noise. Now about those 16 tens the bass player has...

5. discoboo

Dec 25, 2002
    charleston, sc
    i hate shields because i feel cut off from the drummer. also they look stupid on stage.
  6. BertBert

Nov 9, 2002
    We use one in our church, where the congregation hasn't totally come to grips with contemporary music in a worship service yet. A visiting pastor one time remarked that things must be pretty bad if we have to put up bulletproof glass around the drummer.
  7. appler

appler Guest

I played a gig once where our drummer was set up behind a plexiglass "cage." He couldn't hear anything! He's a great drummer and musician though, so we got through the little show.