1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sealed(Bergantino) vs Ported(Schroeder) 610 cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thefunkgorilla, Oct 10, 2013.

1. thefunkgorilla

thefunkgorilla

Mar 26, 2013
    Good morning everyone,
    I am going to be replacing my 810 Ampeg soon. I love the sound but the weight is a killer. I am looking at two options: Bergantino 610(sealed) or Schroeder 610(ported). These cabs would be used for larger stages with PA support as well as medium size gigs without PA support. I use an Ampeg SVP pro into a crown XTi4002 power amp(2400 watts) , no effects. Warm tube sound but still clear and sharp. I play with pick, fingers and thumbslap.
    Price is not the main concern, I am concerned with projection into the room, especially without PA support. Also very concerned with faithful reproduction of a wide range of sonic inputs, from flatwounds on a Pbass to heavy rock on a hotrodded Dingwall 5 string, encompassing the above mentioned playing styles.
    Has anyone used both of these cabs? Any actual A/B experience would be appreciated. Or if you have used either one and have experience on the above points, I would appreciate it.
    Thanks,
    MC

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I've only used the Berg... it's my favorite cab, bar none. I love the tight low end response, which still sounds great with my five stringers tuned a half-step flat.

Tube amp players often prefer sealed cabs, but you said you wanted "clear and sharp" tone for pickstyle and slapstyle. I think the Berg sounds great when I pick or slap, however you might prefer the Schroeder because it has a tweeter (I think), and you might miss the upper-treble 'ping' that comes only from a tweeter.

3. DrDAV14

DrDAV14 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Denver, Colorado
    Agree, The Berg is much tighter and focused.

4. I would try them if possible.

I have been really itching to try a Dingwall through my fEARful cabs. Is yours a hot rodded combustion?

5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

FYI, while the Berg NV610 has been discontinued, Jim is doing a final 'special run' of 24 NV610T's, adding a tweeter to the spec. That should REALLY be a killer cab.

The spec was 'inspired' by Greg at Rocket Music, and, for the OP, he has a few on order.

+1 Killer cab.

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for the information. I didn't know the NV has been discontinued, I'm sorry to hear that. As for the tweeter model... I have exactly zero interest, but it should work for the OP.

7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The only cab in the NV line is the new NV115 at this point, and that kind of 'special' NV610 final run with the tweeter.

To the OP, the Berg HD410 is also KILLER for what you are looking for... punchy (that cab is a modification of the SA410, which Jim made and voiced to work with the Sadowsky SA200 all tube amp). It is kind of a 'best of both worlds' thing for pumping out the rock to me.... a bit more low end extension, sensitivity and 'full range' than the NV610, while still giving you that 'classic' 10's stacked in a box punch and 'lower midrange oomph. Very nice box, easy to move (I believe it comes with castors installed). Definitely should think about it if you want a bit more range than your current cab, but still stay in the same tonal universe.

8. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I have never heard a Schroeder cab that I actually liked. Not one. :atoz:

MM

9. thefunkgorilla

thefunkgorilla

Mar 26, 2013
    Yes, it is a Combustion with a John east U retro 4 knob preamp and the PJ FD3 neo pickups. Very big and nasty, yet very tight and focused all in the same axe.

10. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Is the tweeter gonna be adjustable?

11. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I would think so. Check out the 'discontinued' NV thread in the Rocket Music sponsored thing. There is some info in there.

12. JPMcGuire

JPMcGuire Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Lake Orion, Michigan
    Hs210 and hs410 stack. Love it for what your looking for. Need an amp to run at 2.67 ohms. I run a thunderfunk 800b2. Awesome combo.

Similar would be a hd410 and hd210. Never tried but hear almost identical to the hs

13. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Moving from dinosaurs to crocodiles isn't a big step up the evolutionary ladder imho. There's so much better stuff out there than even Bergantino's best stuff nowadays that not to even consider some of the higher tech stuff seems like doing yourself a disservice.

Some things to check out:
    1) Barefaced
    2) Audiokinesis
    3) Fearfuls/Greenboy audio stuff
    4) LDS custom stuff
    5) Big E - I haven't tried one of these in the newer generations but people seem to rave about them
    6) Acme (it's a hit for some people, give up a bit in sensitivity for me)

If I were looking for something likely to replace a fridge (although not be a tonal chameleon to it of course) I would head right for a Greenboy Dually with Faitals. If I wanted to save money I'd get something similar built by LDS.

Here's a link to what I would specifically recommend on one of GB's builder sites:
    http://www.gigmaster.biz/gigmaster_soundworks_v3_008.htm

14. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I have a NV610 and a HS410 and I can get the HS410 to sound very similar to the NV610, as said in previous posts, the HS410 is kinda 2 cabs in one ....either way you really can't go wrong with The HS410 or NV610 ... as a side note I used a ThunderFunk 550B as the amp for the first companions, then when I purchased/received the Aguilar ToneHammer 500, I did the same thing and had the same conclusions.

Since I play mostly small to medium bars/icehouses/clubs I have had really no trouble in being heard with the HS410, it seems to fill a room very well when you have no P.A. Support, I know this because I use a wireless rig in my set-up

15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Jim's been giving great service and a great product for over thirteen years, for me, I like guys that have been around awhile and are always there when you need them. IMHO and all that.;)

16. I've had the NV610 & now a NV412. I did try both at the same time once a while back & IIRC & it's STILL my opinion today- that the NV412 sounds more like an AMPEG 810 than the NV610 does.
    I really like both & think the 610 is a great cab (wouldn't go wrong with either) but I like the NV412 a li'l more - not QUITE as in yr face punchy as the NV610, but is warmer, a goes li'l deeper & a li'l higher... (IMO- I've NO scientific data to back this up)
    But that's how it felt/sounded to me.

17. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    All the service in the world won't help you when time passes you by from a technology perspective. I don't care if you come to my house and mow my lawn I'm not buying a 486 from you. :)

18. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Having played and owned quite a few of the cabs in your list, this makes me giggle:p:bag: That being said, +1 that there are a lot of options out there that sound great. They all sound different, and no amount of EQ will make one sound like the other IME.

19. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    You'll note that I consider Schroeder beneath even mentioning in the same breath as those others I mentioned (including the aforementioned B-named cab).

No amount of eq, blah blah whatever. You know how I feel - that people spend way too much time and money chasing tone that very few people really care about. The nuance of the distortion of the top end of some woofers has never made a lot of difference to me. To each their own and so on etc. etc.

20. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Sheesh, RP! Enthusiasm is one thing; but, you are recommending cabs you have never even played. Have you actually gigged the NV610 so that you can dismiss it so offhandedly?

Mike A likes this.