1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Implemented Search alerts

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by blixild, Apr 21, 2015.

1. blixild

blixild

Mar 4, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    Since we already have a great alert system, it would be awesome if we could add alerts for searches (or as an alternate implementation, alerts for new threads with specific words or properties).

For example, I would love to have a new alert anytime someone creates a new thread with "Warwick" in the title, or an alert when someone lists a new 6-string bass in the classifieds.

I know that this can be done with Google, but it can't be limited to classifieds, for example. And either way it would be better if it was integrated into the TB experience. :)

Thanks!

paul likes this.
  2. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    This will be implemented today or tomorrow for Supporting Members and Gold Supporting Members! Because of the potential mass number of alerts (if someone sets up an alert for "fender" for example), it is going to be an email-based alert system. You can get an email alert immediately, or a daily digest, weekly digest, etc. :bassist:

Alerts can be limited to specific forums, and/or specific forums can be blacklisted. Negative keywords can also be used (to exclude results)

blixild likes this.
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Paul, can you explain what "keyword set" means and the difference between whitelist and blacklist forums?

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Bryan,
    keyword set is a friendly name for the alerts. e.g. you might setup keywords of MTD and Elrick and save it as 'cool basses'.
    Whitelisting means include, and blacklisting means exclude. That is, if you only want from bass for sale classifieds then include 'for sale: bass guitars" in whitelist. If you want it for any forum EXCEPT classifieds, then you would blacklist the same forum.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Ah, thanks David. As for keywords, if I want any posts from the classifieds with either the words "fee" or "gift" in them to send me an alert, do I create separate keyword sets for each word, or one keyword set with each word separated by a comma? I didn't know if that would only send alerts on posts that contain both words.

6. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    I just changed "Keyword set" to "Set Name". I found it to be confusing too. Hopefully this will help - unless anyone has a better suggestion for it :)

7. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    As I understand it, it'll do an OR search for the whole set of keywords you enter. So if you enter 4 keywords, it'll alert you any time ANY of the keywords are matched (not ALL of them).

Note that each keyword needs to be on it's own box/line. Multiple words entered in one box will result in a phrase match. (like "Fender Jazz Bass").

8. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Thanks, Paul. Congrats on the new one by the way- at this point you're just making an organ harvesting farm for when you get old :D

paul likes this.
  9. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    So far on this Saturday morning 110 users have set up keyword alerts. Awesome. :bassist:

Hopefully nothing crashes. Hahaha.