Second Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassGuitarNerd, Apr 3, 2005.

1. My first and only bass guitar is an Ibanez SR300DX and I've had it for about 2 years now. It is a fine bass but I think it is time for me to move up. I am looking for a nice bass guitar that is less than $700 and i was thinking about getting a Standard Fender P-Bass. What do you think? Would it be an improvement over what i have now? I like to play classic rock like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, The Who, Etc. I need a fast neck and a nice array of tones. Anyone else have a suggestion? Of course I will try out everything before I buy it. Thanks in advance! :smug:
  2. I would recommend a stardard p-bass or jazz. The jazz, IMO, is more versitile but I prefer the tone of a p-bass over jazz bass. and yes, either would be an upgrade
  3. Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I'll also say that the jazz is a great starting point, but do go out and play anything and everything you can - you could be surprised.
  4. KYJazzy

KYJazzy Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    And once you get done going out and playing everything, you'll realize the fender jazz is the best, most versatile bass in your price range. :p or you could go out for a Geddy jazz, unless you wanted some spare change after your purchase.
  5. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    a Lakland Skyline 4401 falls into your price range as well and a very versital instrument with a 3 band eq.
  6. Thanks for all the advice! I got some great leads as to what I should buy.

*EDIT* How is the Lakland 44-01 compared to the MIM J-Bass? I heard the Lakland was better than some of the more expensive Fenders...