1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

sell or mod?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by glen_with_1_n, Apr 21, 2009.

1. I own a mexican fender jazz deluxe, i really like this bass and it has been with me for a good 3 or 4 years now and has been a hard worker.
    I dont know whether to sell it or to mod it. If i was to sell, chances are i would probably buy another japanese fender, or a stingray.
    However i had thought of keeping it and maybe throwing a badass bridge and swapping out a few things.

I like this bass, but the one big problem i have with it is it is really heavy and im only a little guy. Would a good strap fix this?

Also, i am not a tech head at all so i have no idea about active pickups. Would i be better off with a passive j or something else with passive pickups?

Sorry this was long, just need some advice.
    Thanks in advance.

Glen

2. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    A good length on the strap might help. Just like a big heavy backpack, you should not have the straps all slack and draging the backpack around your maximus.

3. I have my bass sitting about waist height, maybe a little higher if thats what you mean.
    Im not just some punk indie kid from australia if thats what your suggesting :D I actually study music at a tertiary level just so you know.

4. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    Haha, ok :)

Well then weight is the actual problem.

Get yourself a Passive Jazz and your life will go smoothly without battery hassle, or maybe a Japanese Squier Jazz? Heard good things about those. ;)

5. if you have any other bass in mind which you have tried and liked a lot then sell this one.

6. I've also heard musicman's are very heavy, so that wouldn't be a very good choice.

7. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    exercise and good playing posture, other than that play trumpet.

8. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Maybe a nice soundgear? They are very light.

9. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    My stingray 4 string weighs less than 9 lbs (completely stock). I have heard of others that are heavier, so you may have to try different ones, but musicman doesn't automatically equal heavy.

10. I would say keep it if you like it.

As for mods and such... if you enjoy the feel of the bass(not taking the weight into it) then I would say, find different pickups perhaps. I am not sure what that bass has in it for pickups/tone eg: pre-amp or passive, but if it is passive a good pre and a set of pups could change that bass into something really different sounding. I put a series/parallel switch in my jazz and it makes it a whole different animal.

As for the weight, I have a MIM Jazz V and it isn't a light thing... also I have a homemade bass that just the body is as heavy as my 5ver... anyway I have a Neo-tech strap...http://www.neotechstraps.com/ it is really wide and is made of neopreme... it makes all my gear way lighter feeling... if you can find one then i would suggest trying it. There is only one down side that I have found... if you play outside or sweat(and I am assuming that you do as you are in aus) then they can get kinda "funky" smelling... easy to wash, but something to keep an eye on.

Hope this helps.

Good luck. If you have any questions on mods and such there are tonnes of great guy on this site that can help and have helped.

Cheers from Canada

11. since you already have an active pre in the deluxe what were you planning to do for mods?
    You can upgrade the bridge and tuners and such but none of this will really effect your tone or the weight issue. I agree the Jazz Bass can be heavy. Mine weighs around 14 pounds and my newest bass a Washburn Status is equally heavy.
    BUT..I have found with the right strap these can be alleviated a bit
    if you want lightweight you can look into Ibanez SRs

12. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    I love to tinker a bit and mod my non-modulus basses.

As a general rule

-If you like the way bass players

-If you like its natural tonal character amplified

Then its worth it.
    I have to dig a bass on both levels for me to keep it and mod it.

Cheers

13. Glen, you might want to hang on to this bass for a little while longer instead of selling it because of regret down the road. try a padded strap, the ones with sheep looking fur on them something like the old tele strap. also if you are giging with this bass, try holding if up a little bit with both hands to take the weight off you shoulder in between songs and when the frontman is doing his pitch. This will help get you through the gig a little easier and use a little mind over matter, after all you'r a mean ass bass player so stand up straight and kick ass.
    Your Friend, BASSCASE

14. southernrocker

southernrocker Banned

Apr 4, 2009
    When in doubt, mod it to hell!

15. lewyyy

lewyyy

Jun 6, 2009
    Durham, UK
    i play a fender aerodyne j bass, its quite a bit lighter than the ordinary one so its not back breaking after a weekend of gigs

16. Chris K

Chris K

May 3, 2009
    Gorinchem,The Netherlands
    Partner: Otentic Guitars
    Use a broad leather strap and stop playing that nosediver. A few days ago I tried the Fender JB deluxe and the fretless retro Jaco model. Played some P's, only to discover similar problems. Having to support the neck of your bass or to pull it up every once in a while, or to press the body down with your right hand, is, IMHO, the main cause of a feeling of weight pressure and a major step to developing repetitive strain injuries. Strap your bass in a 30 degree angle, spread your arms. Does it dive? Sell it ASAP.

17. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I bought a MIM Deluxe Active Jazz back in 2000. Sold it in 2005 to top off the rest of the funding I had for an MIA Jazz Deluxe V

My advice to you is only sell it if you plan on buying a buying a better sounding and playing bass. Other than that I'd keep it, that being said, there is still a part of me that regrets selling it because IMO/IME it sounded and played quite good.

As for the strap issue, I used a very broad leather strap that was made by Peavey that disbursed the weight better than a thin strap does. The relief it provided on my shoulders was Heaven sent and it took much longer to start feeling the effects of the bass on my shoulders and back.