1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

sending bass in flight case?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassmancai, Mar 18, 2008.

1. bassmancai

bassmancai

Feb 6, 2005
    Hey there guys!

I've just sold a bass, ebay style, and I'm ready to pack it up to send. It's in a nice rectangle hardshell Fender flight case so I'm guessing the best thing to do is just wrap it in bubble wrap and parcel paper and send the thing off? I've never sent off a bass in a hardshell case before y'see, just in a shaped cardboard box.

Peace,

Cai x

2. rduckwor

rduckwor Nashville Cat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2007
    L.A. - Lower Alabama
    Pad the bass inside the flight case with bubble wrap so it can't shift around and then box it in a single cardboard box. Don't want the guys shipping to know what they're shipping or disappearing acts might follow.

HTH

3. I received a bass in a hard shell "vintage style" case...no bubble wrap, no box, no tape, no nothing. It came to me via Fed EX and there was absolutely no problem with it. I wouldn't recommend doing it that way, but it worked for the seller.

4. bassmancai

bassmancai

Feb 6, 2005
    cheers guys appreciate that!

5. BumpBrother

BumpBrother

Mar 18, 2008
    Beaverton, OR
    I've had luck shipping in a hard shell case with just some paper towel or bubble wrap inside around the neck and headstock for extra protection.

6. I agree. An extra protective layer around that hard case keeps it from getting beat up. I'd do the same.

7. saltymonkey

saltymonkey Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2007
    Sag Harbor, NY
    I don't now what shipper you are using. But UPS will not accept packages wrapped in brown paper.

8. Paper doesn't do anything to protect a package of any size. but a local music store can probably provide a box - or you can cut one down from a larger box.

9. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    I would also advise putting something between the strings & fretboard to prevent the string from gouging it(I've seen the ugly results on a fretless). Use an old soft cotton T-shirt cut up or something similair. Just a little prevention that won't hurt & cost nothing.

~S~

timplog likes this.
  10. bassmancai

bassmancai

Feb 6, 2005
    what, a box to put the flight case in? Im not sure my local store would have boxes big enough to put a flight case in! And no Im sure the paper wouldnt protect it, its just to cover rather than sending an exposed case. when i received a bass in a flight case it had been courier-d in parcel paper and bubble wrap.

thanks for the string tip though I'll do that!

11. Bett

Bett

Jan 27, 2008
    CT
    My bass came in it's hardshell case, wrapped in bubble wrap and placed inside a cardboard box. The box was kind of like a long square tube, with a shorter section over the open end like a cap. If you can't find a large box, you could probably make one out of cardboard and packing tape. It may not be perfect, but it's better than nothing. Write "fragile" on it, maybe the delivery people will be more careful. Our UPS delivery man knew there was a bass in the box, and I think he said something about playing bass himself, so those people are probably more careful with the instruments, knowing what they're dealing with and whatnot.

12. zzr0ck3r

zzr0ck3r

Mar 14, 2008
    when i was 12 i got my first bass and had to fly to my moms house for the summer. In the airport they gave me a box and said pack it in this. so i did and got insurance. when i got to the airport my bass came out last and the neck was sticking out, it was broke. i got 500 bucks for a 40$ bass. moral of story GET INSURANCE!