Sennheiser XSW IEM - AF Response - 45hz Lower Limit?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Mexay, Nov 21, 2022.

1. Mexay

Mexay

Jul 16, 2018
    Does anyone have experience with the Sennheiser XSW IEMs for bass?

Looking online it says the response range is 45hz to 15khz which pretty much restricts anything from a low B (~31hz) up to even a Low F (~43hz)

I called Sennheiser and they said it's a straight drop-off, not a taper so it just flat-out wouldn't reproduce B - > F on bass. This seems very strange and quite misguided by Sennheiser. Nearly AU$1000 for something a unit that just doesn't work for bass?

Has anyone got a pair of these and used them with a 5 string? Does it work? Was the random person on the phone just wrong?

2. Windreaper

Windreaper

Mar 9, 2008
    The system does not need to reproduce the fundamental for you to hear the low B. So yes, it will work.

I would avoid the XSW, though. It's Sennheiser's entry-level range, which is their excuse to not sell spare parts for it.

3. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    45Hz is fine.
    Most people that use high pass filtering, myself included, set their filter way higher than that. I run mine at around 75Hz and it actually makes my low B sound better.
    The fundamentals on those super low frequency tones are not that important - the first harmonic is.

4. Scotty4string

Scotty4string

Jun 26, 2014
    I second this statement. You don't really want all that low end on a bass. I usually set a HPF at 60-65hz. Sometimes as high as 80hz. I almost always play a five string.