Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Senseless damage

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Blueszilla, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    There has been a rash of random vandalism to mostly cars in various neighborhoods around town lately, the majority being broken windows. Last night I became one of the victims, as one of the rear windows in my truck was shattered. Someone shot a marble through it, found it on the floor. Left a hole about the size of a golf ball, with the rest of the window barely staying in place. When I reported it to the PD, I was the 12th caller this morning from the same part of town and the second to report finding a marble. It's slightly smaller than a paintball, do you think they could have used a paintball gun? I'm thinking that or a slingshot.

On a positive note, it will be fixed within the hour. With the glass rider on my insurance it'll cost me $100.

At least they didn't ransack the interior, as some others have reported.

Still sucks though...

2. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    Makes you want to load more than a slingshot doesn't it?

3. That really sucks! Is the area usually a bad one, or is this just recent? Here's to hoping this won't happen again.

4. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Sounds like some kid got their first wrist rocket.

[​IMG]

5. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    we had a massive car fire consisting of 8 cars and a car port the last week due to arson.

crime is dumb.

6. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I can totally empathize:

about every four months or so, someone (group of someones most likely) goes through neighborhoods in my town and eggs cars. My wife and I have had four cars egged multiple times in the last three years. At first we suspected some relatives with ill-will, but it turned out that all kinds of cars were getting the same treatment. It happens overnight, and so infrequently that it's difficult to pick a night to stay up and watch. If you find the egg early enough, you can wash it off with little problem (other than some scratching of the paint). If you don't find it early enough and it cooks on there, the paint is ruined. Damn sons-a-bizzles.

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I will agree with this. Sounds like that could be the case.

8. Blueszilla

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    David, actually, this is a supposedly decent area. All the folks around me are retirement age, above average cost-wise. I bought the place from a friend and got a good deal, and it's appreciated about 40% in 18 months.

BFB, I thought about it believe me!

Will, I was thinking the same thing. It's quiet and quite effective.

Doug, y'know I think it's a shame that someone is so bored or in need of attention/direction they resort to this kind of s@%t for entertainment. Doesn't reflect well on their upbringing, which is sad.

I suppose it could be someone who hates me... nah I'm too lovable!:p

9. That's what No-doz and a pellet gun were invented for.:D

Sorry about your truck. My car got hit with ketchup once, but the guy got caught by a cop a few streets later. That ended up being really funny when the cop made him come back and apologize.:D

Rock on
    Eric

10. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    You need to chat with the neighbours and set up a neughbourhood watch system for a week or two.

Did you pick the marble up with gloves and put it in a plastic bag so the police can dust it? I doubt they care if it's just a single case, but with dozens of similar cases around the town they might want to give it a look.

11. That does suck, but usually this kind of vandalism is done by some punks that are usually stupid enough to video tape it and then get caught. More than likely you will get the pleasure of seeing them on the news.

12. Blueszilla

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    That's a good idea, I'll talk to some of them.

No, I did think about that the second after I picked it up. I was on my way to work so I wasn't thinking in the CSI mode.:D I still have it though. Next time!

13. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    not sure if a paintball gun was used, i think marbles are a tad to heavy to be fired properly.

i may be wrong since ive only used paintball guns for paintballs

14. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    That does suck. Speaking of senseless damage, I was really shocked to learn that all those church fires here in Alabama were caused by a few punk-ass kids looking for kicks.

I hope the judge throws the book at them.

15. Book, hell, throw a damn library at them!!

Rock on
    Eric