1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Set-up in Boston

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by TYoungBass, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Hey quick question: I'm trying to figure out the best place to get a Laborie installation in the Boston area, if at all possible. The suggestions i've gotten for the best set-up have included Mike Shank in Pennsylvania and Schnitzer in NY. Obviously, these would be great but hopefully i can find something closer. Thanks!

2. Jake

Jake

Dec 11, 1999
    Florida
    Michael Hartery at Boston Bass Works

3. robinunit

robinunit

Aug 9, 2010
  4. Great, thanks! It looks like Mike Hartery and Jed Kriegel are up there. I just wanted to make sure that these guys also have the proper experience/skill set to drill a hole in the bass...

5. mjt0229

mjt0229 Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Yes.

6. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    Absolutely!

7. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    Also nahrmanns shop, his work looked great when i was there.

8. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

Jan 17, 2012
    Drive down to NY and give Gage a call! Ill swear that they do a great setup ans can really do the impossible! Ask anyone here who knows me, i love their work and they have my loyalty.

9. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Bryan, TX
    Mike Hartery's work is excedptionally good. Good young guy, knows his stuff.

10. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    The only guy you should trust with this job is Vitous Vytopna in Brno, Czech Republic. I highly recommend investing the extra cost of travel there with your bass as he is the only one who can do it properly. Go to anyone else and you might as well just set fire to your bass, as they will almost certainly destroy it.

Seriously, I think a lot of people out there have the skills to install a Laborie. Not such a big deal. Michael would certainly do a good job, of course.

Povl Carstensen likes this.
  11. Michael Hartery

Michael Hartery Guest

Mar 13, 2018
    I no longer work on basses.
    Thanks.