1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Setting up IEM @ Gigs

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Nathan Ferguson, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Nathan Ferguson

Nathan Ferguson

Jul 14, 2015
    Australia
    I have 5 people in my band. All sing and play an instrument.
    When we do our own gigs we use 5 aux channels outputted to 5 iem’s on our Soundcraft Ui24r mixer and then mix them individual with our own iPhones.

How do I go about getting them set up at gigs where we don’t do our own sound and have limited time?

Tell me if you need more clarification.

2. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Probably a splitter snake.

musicman7722 and biguglyman like this.
  3. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    You will need a splitter snake, or hope the venue has a stage snake with a splitter leg on it.
    Either way, you need to be able to hook up to/from the house and map to the same inputs to your Ui24R as when you run your own sound.
    That way your IEM mixes have minimal change/impact.
    By map - I mean - take their kick channel (theirs might be 16) and connect to yours (which might be Ch 1).

If you have a splitter snake, then everything connects to your snake. One leg goes to the house and the other goes to the Ui24R.
    IF the house has a split, then you can hook it up to the Ui24R and map their channels to yours.

The SAFEST approach that will cover you is every scenario is to have your own splitter.
    You could mount the splitter in the same rack as the Ui24R and leave one leg permanently connected to the Ui24R. You then [ALWAYS] connect everything to the splitter snake box, and only use the other split/leg when you need to hook up to the house system.

Whether that is worth doing will depend on how often you gig and you use your own FOH, and whether you feed all channels to the house or give them an L/R mix.

We took that approach (x32R) and still do.. We have our own IEM mix,not matter where we play. So much LESS hassle.. setup time is negligible.

4. As others before me said a split snake should do the trick. I opted for a pair of the Behringer ms8000 rack spliters and I leave my x18 chanels plugged in it in the rack so I just run a fantail out of the rack for front of house.

SoCal80s and s0c9 like this.
  5. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    This is our "layout".
    IEM-config-2.

craigie likes this.
  6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    if it's a multi-band bill and you're not the headliners?

you probably don't.

s0c9 likes this.
  7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This. If they have put wedges on the stage for multiple bands, you'll likely be using wedges that show.

s0c9 likes this.
  8. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    I've done SR for shows in that scenario (last one was back in June with 12 bands, and 8 bands back at end of April) where we have bent over backwards to accommodate bands with self-contained IEM systems as well as those who used traditional wedges.
    Some had X32 Racks with patch panels on the rear of the case, others had different setups.
    Basically we move the mic inputs from our snake to their inputs/patchbay, then take their outputs and map them back to our snake channels. Yes, TWICE the number of hops, but with drop snakes from drums, etc. it's a lot easier.
    With technology the way it is today, its not as much of a challenge as it used to be... see my pic above :)

walterw and Ethereal Thorn like this.
  9. Having your own mixer for iems ran with channel splits, drop snakes and/or fantails for their front of house will be the ideal setup its abit pricey but worth it. You can save all your iem settings on your mixer that way. Running that kind of setup the front of house sound check is usually just a quick gain stage so it makes things really quick and easy.

s0c9 likes this.
  10. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    true, and if the sound company can be persuaded to go for it it does eliminate an entire layer of effort and time, namely the monitor check; they can get a line check out front and pretty much start.

s0c9 likes this.