1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Setup for tuning down a half step

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by musicman5strng, Apr 28, 2005.

1. musicman5strng

musicman5strng

Mar 28, 2005
    My band decided that we are going to start tuning down a half step to make things easier on our vocalist. It is a female and her "breaking point" is a high A. We tried it at rehearsal and she sounds a lot better and the higher notes a lot fuller. Anywho my question is: should I adjust my setup to play this way? I know I will have to adjust the relief in the neck but other than that should I use higher gauge strings to get a tighter sound, anything else I might be overlooking?

Thanks

2. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    I agree with Joshua, tuning down a half step shouldn't make much difference at all. You MAY appreciate going to heavier strings if they don't feel like they have enough tension, but that's all I can think of. Think of how many times you may have been out of tune by a 1/2 step. MOST of the blues guys that I have played with are tuned down so they can do the SRV and Hendrix stuff.

Go for it, I don't think you'll have any problems. :bassist: