Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Setup for tuning down a half step

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by musicman5strng, Apr 28, 2005.

1. musicman5strng

musicman5strng

Mar 28, 2005
    My band decided that we are going to start tuning down a half step to make things easier on our vocalist. It is a female and her "breaking point" is a high A. We tried it at rehearsal and she sounds a lot better and the higher notes a lot fuller. Anywho my question is: should I adjust my setup to play this way? I know I will have to adjust the relief in the neck but other than that should I use higher gauge strings to get a tighter sound, anything else I might be overlooking?

Thanks

2. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    I agree with Joshua, tuning down a half step shouldn't make much difference at all. You MAY appreciate going to heavier strings if they don't feel like they have enough tension, but that's all I can think of. Think of how many times you may have been out of tune by a 1/2 step. MOST of the blues guys that I have played with are tuned down so they can do the SRV and Hendrix stuff.

Go for it, I don't think you'll have any problems. :bassist: