setup in indianapolis

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by bassmonkey144, Mar 17, 2005.

1. does anybody know of a business/person who does DB setups in the indianapolis area? thanks.
  2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
  3. prelims222

Sep 20, 2004
    Southeast US
    Anything in Indy is going to be iffy at best.

Go to Nick or the Bass Cellar. Both do good work at good prices, and are roughly 1.5 hours from you.
  4. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    There are violin shops, like Frank's Violins or Violin Shop of Old Carmel, but I know of no bass-priority shops around Indy. Alex at Old Carmel is an outstanding fiddle maker, and Frank's has a good luthier also. Those guys can do the job for you, but if you're looking for the real deal in bass setup work I think you'll have to pack a lunch and drive to Cincy to see Nick or Andy .
  5. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I think we all need to give John a pat on the back here. He seems to share so much info in this area helping others without any selfish motives. This is why it is fair IMO for Venders/Dealers/mfgs. to have their links in their signatures as it is the business they are in that gives them the knowledge to share and help others. It's a small reward to have the 'link' privledge but often it goes un-noticed..

Thanks John for you great contributions to TB... AND... He's a freekin Drummer to boot.... Oops.. Secret slipped
  6. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    There used to be a guy here in Indy named Kaelin Watkins that some of the ISO guys used to use. I can't remember his number though. His shop had "scroll" in the name.

Alex at the Violin Shop in Carmel is a great guy, but he doesn't work on basses.

Your best alternative would be a trip to Cincy to Nick or the Bass Cellar.
  7. ok, well. i guess i will be taking a trip to cincy over the summer then. im in no real hurry to get it setup, as i might have a new DB by then.
  8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I can vouch for both Nnick's work and that of Chris and Andy at the Cellar. You can't go wrong with either.
  9. JonB

May 27, 2003
    The name is Kalon Watkins, and his business name is "seasoned scrolls", I think.
    He's kind of hard to reach. PM and I'll send you his home phone.
  10. bdengler

Jan 23, 2000
    New Albany, Ohio
    If you're in Indianapolis, you should simply take your bass to the Cincinnati Bass Cellar. I don't think it's that long a drive from Indy on I-74, plus the Bass Cellar shop is on the far west side of Cincy. Simply take 74 and get off the Montana Road exit, go south on Montana a few miles and you're there!

Regards, Brian
  11. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Thanks JonB. Its been a while since I have talked with Kalon. I must be getting old, Seasoned Scrolls, is the shop name. Thanks for the memory jolt.
  12. thanks guys, for all the help