Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Setup weird after weather changes?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by nfn15037, Mar 16, 2004.

1. nfn15037

nfn15037

Feb 5, 2004
    I have a Fender Standard Jazz Bass and it seems that every time it rains, or gets hot, or cold, the truss rod needs to be adjusted on it. Is there anything I can do about this or is it just part of owning a cheap bass? Thanks!

2. Truss Rods will inevitably have to be adjusted when the weather changes. It's just because wood reacts to changes in temperature, humidity, etc.. There's really nothing you can do about it...aside from getting a bass with a graphite neck...

3. nfn15037

nfn15037

Feb 5, 2004
    Ahh, OK. So it is more of a "living in Florida" problem then :) . Thanks!

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, just as common in NJ. If you're lazy, you could set the action a little higher than you like so if the neck straightens because of weather it doesn't buzz. My lazy friends do this.

5. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Lazy? Don't you need to practice harder to play with higher action?

nfn, my Fender needs to be adjusted every time the seasons change - but certainly not every time it rains. :eek:

Sounds like you need a bit more relief so your setup can tolerate minor weather changes without adjustment.

6. Bass Tranquil

Bass Tranquil

Nov 16, 2003
    Ever since that crazy blizzard this past week my truss rod on my MusicMan has been worrying me to death. Really. I had it right next to the window in my bedroom and that weekend the heat was off. (d'oh) The wheel is horribly loose and when I took it out of its gig bag it rotated at least 2 turns. I have horrible fret-buz right now and I'm not quite sure how I should fix this problem. Besides moving out of Cleveland...

From the 6th fret down it sounds horrid with buzz. Should I just turn it a halfway clockwise each day until it gets better?

Or could there be a possibility that it got screwed up due to it turning so much in a short time?

(yeah I'm new at set-up, bare with this)

7. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    When it gets hot, do you turn the truss rod clockwise(to the right) because the weather makes the neck stiff and then when it rains, turn the truss rod anti-clockwise (to the left)???

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    If its a continuing problem in your climate, consider getting a graphite necked bass, or a graphite replacement neck for your exising bass. It will totally solve your problems.

I lived for awhile in the Virgin Islands, and my pre-Gibson Tobias Classic suffered dearly with the humidity fluctuations down there. Truss rod adjustments were required before nearly every gig. A Modulus Q6 solved that problem once and for all.

9. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    NFN the neck needing adjustment has nothing to do with owning a cheap bass my Music Man Sterling needs adjustment after it rains or a seasonal change. The good thing is it’s easy to adjust the neck on a Music Man bass. The bass has a wheel at the base that’s easy to get to. My Fender is a pain I have to remove the pick guard every time to adjust