1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Seymour Duncan BEQ3 Replacement Preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by vernhillbass, Mar 25, 2013.

1. vernhillbass

vernhillbass

May 11, 2012
    I have a Fender Jazz Bass 24 (Korean made) that has a Seymour Duncan BEQ3 Preamp (see attached wiring diagram). I am interested in upgrading to a new preamp, but I want to keep the same controls (Volume, Blend, stacked Bass/Treble and Midrange). I am looking for punch and a much cleaner signal. The bass has the original BassLines Quarter Pounders in it. In a perfect world, where money is no object, I would replace the pick ups with noiseless ones, so give me suggestions on those too. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. vernhillbass

vernhillbass

May 11, 2012
    What about the Agular preamp? This looks close to the same wiring. Who's using this one?

3. vernhillbass

vernhillbass

May 11, 2012
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

4. The newer Seymour Duncan STC-3A and -3P preamps are very similar, but they are not plug-and-play compatible with the wiring harnesses. They require installation of the new controls (included and prewired) and, to retain functionality of the separate slap switch, rewiring from the included volume push/pull switch to the original. This might be the best bet, since you're stuck buying it with new controls anyway you might as well use them. I just haven't figured out whether to go with the 3A (active) or 3P (passive) setup. The only real difference is the blend control pot, which is 100K for active and 250K for passive. Most likely, basing the correct preamp on whatever value the original blend pot is will be sufficient.

But, if you want to completely upgrade, I would suggest spending less on BassMods. You'll likely end up with two stacked knobs (treble/bass and mid/passive tone) plus an active/passive mini toggle. Pros: Run passive or active and still have some tone control, without modifying the look of your Jazz 24. Cons: Eh... you'll have to decide that for yourself.

5. Andy_D

Andy_D

Nov 28, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
    + 1 on the Bass Mods.

My only experience was with a Duncan MM pre-amp which I thought was way too harsh sounding I had it in an MTD artist and very much disliked the tones it provided. it didn't stay in there for very long and I ended up putting the factory pre back in it.. Some people love them however so to each his own. I have bee very with the Bass Mods pre amps. solid decent sounding pres for the money.