Sharing my build and looking for advice.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by limmlimm, Nov 21, 2016.

1. limmlimm

limmlimm

Nov 14, 2011
    Nags Head
    This bass was an MIM standard 5 that my grandmother bought for me in 1999 as a high school graduation present. The original bass was a metallic burgundy color with a rosewood board and white pick guard. It was sitting around for years with a broken neck and I finally decided to bring it back to life. I stripped the finish with a heat gun and sanded the body. I painted it sonic blue nitro with a satin nitro finish. Then neck is a Warmoth standard 5 maple neck and I painted the headstock to match and had a custom logo of my last name in the Fender font printed. I got some used aguilar 60s j pickups for it and a new MIM stock bridge. I put some black hardware on it and called it a day. Im really glad to revive it but am looking for some advice. The bass is set up and plays great but I think I want to switch the pickups and or instal a preamp. Im looking to get a more modern sound out of it. Any suggestion on preamp and or pickups would be greatly appreciated. Im glad I finally got around to sharing this. Thanks for looking. Ed.

Attached Files:

2. jimdgreat1

jimdgreat1

Sep 28, 2016
    Wichita Kansas
    Looks great. Seems like some have recommended a preamp foot switch rather than adding a preamp to the bass.

3. limmlimm

limmlimm

Nov 14, 2011
    Nags Head
    jimdgreat1 I was thinking about that option too. Just so unsure about what to get.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022