1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

sharing some recent recordings, would love comments!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by williamk, Jul 17, 2012.

1. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    hey all
    my pop/funk project is releasing a new EP soon and 3 of the 5 songs are completed and available to listen to here:

http://mellotrain.bandcamp.com/

I played and recorded all instruments, but I'm pretty satisfied with the result bass-wise so I thought I'd share on TB!

The first song was recorded with a japanese fender j-bass, the second with a dano '63 (with flats) and the Beatles' cover with a dano shortscale wild thing (with rounds).

Feel free to comment the music too!:)

thanks!

2. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    if I knew how to move this to the recordings section, I would...

3. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Oh yeah, that bass tone in "Jealous" is schweeeeeeeet!

Now, I'm about to say something that might get me banned from TalkBass.. maybe the bass is a bit too loud?

:bag: :help:

The musicianship on those three recordings is something to behold, as is the recording. Just top notch. Kudos!

Now, get this moved to recordings..

4. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    thanks!

...and how do I move threads??

5. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    Nice music and very good bass parts and tone. Well done and thanks for sharing

6. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    A mod has to do it. One will be along presently, I'm sure.

7. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    Professional and clean recording.
    My subjective opinion, I would have preferred the MIJ Jazz Bass for all songs. Bass level is a bit high on Black Boots.

8. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    Hahahaa well whataya know! Bass too loud...that's one you actually don't hear often!
    Thanks for the input and comments!

9. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Brutal honesty coming up:

I liked the compressed piano on "Jealous." I wish the left hand doubled the bass for the whole song; that'd have been sweet. Too much compression otherwise-not enough pulse. Distortion on the drums is cool but the hi hat is too high in the mix.

On "Black Boots," I think the rhythmic hits are too strong. Less is more. Not a good use of compressed piano. Drums sounded sampled (were they or did you just compress the life out of them?) and the open hi hat sound is like nails on a chalkboard. Again, too much compression.

For "Drive My Car," it makes sense to use compression on the piano but I think you used a bit too much. Same complaints about the drums. Should have come up with a better ending.

Ease up on the compression! A little goes a long way. If you're worried about how it'd sound on the radio, don't-they add their own compression.

10. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    Thanks for the comments; i always love brutal honesty!
    I agree with most of what you said. I actually didn't use that much compression anywhere, but we decided to go cheap for mastering: cost us 30$ a song (which is as cheap as it's gonna get!), and so even though the final result is punchier and louder, it is also, unfortunately, very "squashed" compared to my unmastered mixes...