Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sheehan, Vai, and Satriani on rye, hold the Hamm...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JohnL, Sep 26, 2003.

1. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Looks like G3 is back at it, coming to the ATL 10/29. Billy Sheehan is with Steve Vai, (Hmmm...I wonder if there will be just a bit of "over-the-topness" during that set!?) and Matt Bissonette is with Satriani this time, not Stu Hamm. Yngwie Malmsteen is the 3rd act; not sure who's playing bass with him. Looking forward to an evening of laid back arrangements, sparse bass and guitar solos with lots of whole notes...;)

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Randy Coven perhaps?

That'd be a treat!

3. Bah, that'd be just shredding for three hours.

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'd like "Stating the Obvious" for $1000, Alex. :D

5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I thought the faster they played, the quicker the show ended...:bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

6. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I'm going to one of The Beacon shows in NYC.

Mick Cervino is playing bass for Yngwie. At least, for now. Yngwie goes through musicians like a hot knife goes through butter.

Tom

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

:D

8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I'll be seeing it 11/2 in Pensacola. Be sure to give us a review of the show! One of the radio "personalities" around here has been announing this show as "some guitar tour", to which he adds "I guess you'd have to be a guitar player and into that 80s-style crap to go see this". :rolleyes:

9. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Naw. They just get paid-by-the-note.:rolleyes:

10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I bought my ticket last night for next week's show in Milwaukee, WI.

Yngwie does crack me up...I don't think anyone could say less with more notes...but I am truly amazed that anyone can play that fast...

SMASH, did Billy disappear after the show or did he hang out to say Hi?

After reading through the latest edition of BP, it looks like Stu Hamm has stayed home to join the circus.

11. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    bring back Eric! at the original G3 concerts, everyone was kinda :rolleyes: :rolleyes: when Eric played, but to me he was the main attraction, a good balance to joe and steve. But now with yngwie there, it sounds way too over the top.

12. I caught the show @ the House of Blues in Vegas and got to meet the band after the show. I met my bass HERO, Billy Sheehan. I was excited! I'm a big Yngwie fan and he sounded really good. The show was great and definitely a night to remember...

Y'all take it easy...I'm still excited...

13. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Sobie, did you have a backstage pass or did Billy make himself available to the general public?

14. I had backstage passes waiting for me @ the box office...:D

15. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'm jealous!!!

Tonight's my night to see the show...comments to follow.

16. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I bought tickets to the G3 show the day they were released! I can't wait...Nov 6th Massey Hall Toronto. Gonna be great!

17. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Well...I went. My overall rating of the show was two thumbs up...but you have to be in the mood to listen quickly as I lost count at 2,487,394 notes:D

I really enjoyed the show...yes, there was a lot of overplaying, but IMO there was a lot of good overplaying in there.

I've listened to Yngwie on and off since he first came to the US. I hadn't seen him live since the early/mid '80s when he opened for AC/DC. Near as I can tell he's still using the same amps...FIVE full Marshall stacks on his side of the stage (four of them were on). How many of us can say that we're still using the same amp nearly 20 years later? Hmmmm?

Oddly enough;) Yngwie never introduced his band...and he gave himself two solo spots. His bassist was a small built guy, barely taller than and SVT 8x10 and head. Played a Warwick Thumb with a pick.

Steve Vai was incredible...it's amazing to me how anyone can play like that. Such command of the instrument an all that it's signal is routed through. And his band was awesome too...Tony McAlpine on guitar and keyboards and another guitarist who's name I forget.

I really admire Steve for surrounding himself on stage with guitarists that can go note for note with him (and do on a regular basis).

It was fun seeing Billy Sheehan in person. I wish his tone was cleaner, but hey, it's HIS tone. Such dexterity that fella has!!!

I took a little walk up front as the crew was setting up Vai's stage and looked at Billy's rack (is it wrong for a guy to check out another guy's rack?) Anyway, I had to laugh as it appeared that while there was an Ampeg SVP-BSP in the rack, Billy was using his old Pearce BC-1 instead. He also used two 8x10s and SVT-4Pro heads. There was a bunch of other stuff, but I couldn't tell what it was.

Satriani was awesome too... I own his first two CDs but haven't really kept up with his music. I preferred Joe's tone of the three last night...
    Like Vai, I am floored by the control that Joe has of his sound. Matt Bissonete sounded great (when I could hear him).

The jam at the end was quite interesting...a lot of trading fours, the let Yngwie start off with Voodoo Chile, then they jammed, then Steve started Little Wing, and they jammed then Joe started (and sang!!!) Keep on Rockin' in the Free World.

I think of all the songs that were played during this nearly 4 hour show, only four had vocals. That's fine for me, but I rarely listen to the lyrics anyway...

Oh, and to answer my earlier question...Billy was nowhere to be seen afterwards...bummer I do want to shake his hand someday. Yngwie's keyboard player was out front talking to people but there was such a crowd around I didn't stick around...plus it was almost midnight, I had been up since 4:30 am and still had an hour+ drive ahead of me to get home...

If you're remotely interested in any of these musicians, I strongly suggest that you go see the show.

Oh, and all the kick drums sounded great!!!!:meh:

18. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Just guessing, but the other guitarist for Steve might be Mike Keneally.

19. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    No, it wasn't Mike but he too blew me away on the G# video with Satch and Eric Johnson..

According to the info at http://www.vai.com "Steve's band lineup will be: Billy Sheehan - Bass; Tony MacAlpine - Guitar and Keyboards; Jeremy Colson - Drums; and Dave Weiner - Guitar"

So it was Dave Weiner's name that I couldn't remember.

20. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Sounded like a good show man! I saw the G3 a couple years ago when they had Mike Petrucci(Dream Theater) as the 3rd act. The sound was incredible, and the playing was amazing. Were there any vocal tunes in Yngwie's set? 14 days...